224-226 Foleshill Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Douglas Payne
Functions: Religious Services
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Roxy Cinema
Located on the corner of Foleshill Road and Edmund Road. The Redesdale Cinema was opened on 31st January 1933 with Barry Jones in “Arms and the Man” & Gene Gerrard in “Lucky Girl”. Seating was provided for 1,073 in the stalls and 500 in the circle. It was built for W.H. Bassett-Green. In 1934 it was leased by the local Philpot chain and was re-named Roxy Cinema.
In April 1954, the cinema was taken back by Bassett-Green and it reverted back to its original name. It continued to operate for two more years, and was then closed and the contents were auctioned off on 3rd September 1956.
The building was converted into the Bambo Club, then became the Hibernia Club and in 1973 became the Tree Tops Club. It was closed in April 1978, and the building was put up ‘For Sale’. There was talk of conversion back to cinema use with a restaurant, but this came to nothing. A Sikh group purchased the building in November 1979, and it was converted into the Nanaksar Gursikh Temple.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.