No one has favorited this theater yet
This cinema opened in 1911 as the Prince’s Hall Picture House. It was built on the site of the Shipley Pavilion to the design of architect William Illingworth. The original seat count was in approximately 1,100. The cinema had a wrought iron and glass canopy that ran along the entire length of the facade, a black and white marble entrance floor, and column-free auditorium interior decorated in green and cream.
A 2-manual Andrews pipe organ was installed in 1920, which was later removed after the installation of sound equipment. CinemaScope equipment was installed in 1954. In 1962, the cinema received a major makeover and a new screen.
In 1972 while under the management of the Star Cinemas chain, the cinema was transformed into a quad by creating four auditoriums in the stalls area with seating capacities of 100, 86, 134 & 105, each with a distinctive colour scheme. The cinema was re-named Studios 1, 2, 3, 4. The projection system used an unusual combination of periscopes and mirrors; there was no direct projection on any of the four screens. The seat count was reduced to a total of 450. The balcony was closed off and unused, though there may have been some thought that it might later become a fifth screening room.
In 1978, the cinema was renamed the Unit Four Cinemas when the Hutchinson Group took over. Storm damage to the theatre’s roof closed the cinema in 1980; it was reopened in 1981. In 1999, it was taken over by a partnership of two solicitors and renamed the Shipley Flicks after the partners personally funded a refurbishment of the cinema including the addition of Dolby Surround Sound. But by 2000, dwindling attendance, competition from newer multiplexes further away, and offers from developers finally doomed the ninety-year-old building, and it was demolished in 2001. A block of flats now occupies the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater