69 W. Madison Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Alcazar Theatre was one of the Loop’s early movie houses, opening in May 1907, near Chicago’s first Theatre Row, near the intersection of W. Madison Street and N. Clark Street (which was superceded in the 1920’s by the W. Randolph Street “Rialto”, which included such theaters as the Oriental Theatre, the United Artists Theatre and the Woods Theatre). W. Randolph Street is today once more the heart of the city’s revived Theatre District.
The Alcazar Theatre sat just under 300, and was located near several other small movie and burlesque houses(not the strip-tease burlesque of later decades, but in those days, another form of vaudeville), including the Boston Theatre and Rose Theatre, which, like the Alcazar Theatre were owned by Harry C. Moir, who also owned the nearby Morrison Hotel. The enormous Morrison Hotel, like most of the other buildings on the block, including the Alcazar Theatre, was razed in 1965 to make was for the First National Bank Building and Plaza.
During the late-1920’s and early-1930’s, the Alcazar Theatre operated as a 24-hour theatre. It was closed by the mid-1930’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater