Front Street and Hotspur Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Tynemouth, near North Shields, Tyne & Wear. Originally built as a Wesleyan Chapel in 1869. It was converted into the Carlton Cinema to the plans of architect Edwin M. Lawson, opening on 17th January 1935 with Jessie Matthews in “Evergreen”. The Neo-Classical style exterior was retained, but the interior was given an Art Deco style. It had a 27ft wide proscenium, and the stage was 17ft deep. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It was operated by North East Cinemas De Luxe Ltd.
In 1954 it was equipped with CinemaScope. The management applied for a bingo club licence in the 1970’s but it was turned down on two occasions. The Carlton Cinema was closed on 4th September 1976 with John Alderton in “It Shouldn’t Happen to a Vet”. It was demolished in 1977 and housing now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater