New Mission Theater
2550 Mission Street,
14 people favorited this theater
Built in 1916 and originally designed by the Reid Brothers, the over 2,000-seat movie palace was renovated for the Nasser Brothers circuit in 1932 by Timothy Pflueger, who transformed it into an Art Deco style wonderland. The theater also has a 70 foot marquee that is a local landmark. After closing, it spent many years as a furniture store.
The City College of San Francisco proposed to raze much of the former movie palace and build new campus facilities inside the theatre’s building. Believing that more of a theatre could be retained while still achieving the school’s goals, a local group called ‘Save the New Mission Theatre’ lobbied to stop CCSF from executing its plans.
In 2012, Alamo Drafthouse announced plans to convert the theatre into a five auditorium cinema, with new auditoriums in the balcony and preserving the main screen. It planned to re-open in 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater