100 Third Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
Opened in the early-1910’s as the Lyric Theatre. By 1910 it had been renamed Comet Theatre. In the the 1930’s it was presenting live plays. In the 1960’s it was turned into the Jewel Theatre which played all male films when they left the Adonis Theatre on 8th Avenue. In the 1980’s it was re-named the Bijou Cinema and continued to play male XXX films. In 1988 the city closed it down.
It was remodeled and re-named the Cinema Village Third Avenue with the revival format moving here when the owner of the Cinema Village tried to make that an X house (with the name Cinema 12). That lasted less than three months and the original Cinema Village returned with independant films for a short time using the Cinema 12 name and then Cinema Village.
This theatre then changed it’s name back to the Bijou Cinema and switched to a first run format opening with “War of the Roses”. By 1992 with all the competition from the new Loews Village and Village East, the theatre quietly went back to gay male adult films, and closed around 2002. The building was gutted to its brick walls in June 2005 and converted into office space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater