The latest movie theater news and updates
January 27, 2004
BALTIMORE, MD — Thanks to the valiant efforts of Cinema Treasures user Ed Dobbins, we have another batch of photos from the Grand Theatre demolition site.
YORK, ENGLAND — The campaign to save the Odeon Cinema has received a boost with the backing of our local newspaper who have been producing posters and articles of support.
January 26, 2004
The theater, which closed down in November 1999, was originally opened in 1939. A $1 million renovation has made this cinema look better the new with refurbished seats, new carpets, and much new equipment in the booth.
Here are a few recent photos I took of the Avon:
CHICAGO, IL — I do not have an official story from the theater/management about the renovation of the landmark marquee at the Chicago Theatre, however the activity this week has been amazing.
Sean Network Web Development is looking to do web development work for any non-profit theatre related groups (such as owners of theaters, “Friends of” groups, “Save the” groups, etc.) for little or no cost.
We are looking to build up our portfolio while creating awareness of preservation of theaters. We can create a full site for your theater group, and may also provide hosting. If you are a non-profit theater group please go to http://www.snweb.org to apply.
January 24, 2004
The group plans to document the destruction of the Grand, record memories of the theater from individual patrons, and generally mourn the theater’s loss. The Senator Theatre is also providing fresh popcorn for all in attendance.
January 23, 2004
A prankster puts the Madison Theatre up for sale on eBay, the Times Square Theater still searches for a savior, Yahoo and Fandango join forces on movie ticketing, and a nutrionist shares the bad news about movie refreshments (sadly) — all in today’s newsreel.
- EBay listing of Madison Theater hoax
- Group Wants Fox to Be Downtown Centerpiece
- Center seeks final funds to buy Roxy
- Theater deal ignites town identity crisis
- Curtain to rise on historical Yuma theater – again
- Mann Theatres proposes five-screener for Westwood
- THE DIET DETECTIVE: Getting Fat at the Movies
- Yahoo! Movies and Fandango Announce Long-Term Movie Ticketing Relationship
- 42nd Street’s Times Square Theatre Continues Search for Tenant
- These old houses: Historical preservation can pay off