Comments from ChasSmith

ChasSmith commented about Southington Drive-In on Jul 20, 2015 at 4:26 am

Can someone who’s attended in the last couple of years provide some information on how they actually project movies? I hope “badly lit DVDs onto a dilapidated screen” is hyperbole, or at least an outdated description. How well or badly is the feature projected? How’s the sound? Are there concessions, and how are they?

ChasSmith commented about Guild Theatre on Jul 13, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Just caught a quick passing shot of this in one of the first season episodes of ADAM-12, with “Reflections in a Golden Eye” showing on the marquee. I think there was a Bob’s Big Boy across the street.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about Backstage at Atlanta's Fox Theatre on Jun 9, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Beautiful stuff. Keep it coming!

Love the floor plan, too. Always wish there were more of those around.

ChasSmith commented about News From Loews Jersey City on Jun 5, 2015 at 5:20 am

Keep fighting the good fight, people.

BTW, anyone who hasn’t yet visited the Loews and walked through its magnificent spaces is really missing something.

ChasSmith commented about Lauderdale Drive-In on May 6, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Also, unfortunately, the status should be “demolished”.

ChasSmith commented about Lauderdale Drive-In on May 6, 2015 at 3:22 pm

BTW, the drive-in was in the northwest corner of West Broward Blvd. and 27th Avenue — not Wingate Road.

ChasSmith commented about Lauderdale Drive-In on May 6, 2015 at 3:17 pm

My family regularly attended the Lauderdale Drive-In during the early 1960s, and it just happens that our church held early Sunday morning services there. I’ve just uploaded four pages of a 1963 tenth-anniversary program commemorating those services.

Naturally, I wish there were more pictures of the drive-in itself, but the last of the four pages does show a portion of the concession stand!

For anyone who might be interested, the complete program is posted at http://goo.gl/ZTZHm4

ChasSmith commented about Eastgate 10 Theatre on Apr 4, 2015 at 1:50 pm

I can’t believe I missed the fact that this one opened in 1996!

Thank you both! I’ll check out those others.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about A Tribute to Our Former Blog Editor Michael Zoldessy on Nov 12, 2014 at 2:35 am

Thank you for all you’ve done in making this a treasured and invaluable site.

ChasSmith commented about Blog Hiatus on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:00 am

OMG, don’t let the main site go ANYWHERE.

Thanks, and all best wishes, forever and ever! :)

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about Beloved Marin cinema could be torn down for housing on Oct 1, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Seconded!

ChasSmith commented about St. Albans Drive-In closes on Jul 23, 2014 at 5:13 am

Another piece of lousy news. So sorry to hear this.

ChasSmith commented about Fair Oaks Drive-In on Jul 9, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Terrible news!

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about City council grants Century 21 dome theater historical status on Jun 13, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Second all of that! This is the kind of news we can use once in a while.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about Historic Movie Theaters in Phila burbs still showing daily movies on Jun 5, 2014 at 3:26 am

Judging by the picture, that County is one gorgeous theater.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about 70mm Film Festival returns to Chicago on May 28, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Oh boy, would I love to get to some of that. Please keep us updated!

ChasSmith commented about Scottsdale Six demolished on May 15, 2014 at 4:47 am

Disgusting.

Sorry to hear this.

ChasSmith commented about Forest Theatre on Apr 15, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I’m sorry to say I’d been through there several times and noticed it, but never stopped to take a picture.

As of today, if you go to Bing Maps and choose Bird’s Eye view (it’s no longer on Aerial View which has been updated), you can see it clearly at the intersection of Forest Rd. and Boston Post Rd./Orange Avenue — especially in the image facing west.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about Connecticut could be first state to curb loud movies on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Violation of FREE SPEECH??

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about Drive-in to reopen in Paramount on Feb 4, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Go for it! I wish you all the best.

ChasSmith commented about Thunderbird Theater on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:58 pm

From the looks of the building on Google and Bing, it must have been a really fine suburban theater.

I wish I could remember what I saw there while living in the area in 1985/86. If anyone can recall any particular movies exhibited there during those years, I’d sure appreciate it.

ChasSmith commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jan 11, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I didn’t know him, myself, but this is a shock nonetheless. Always appreciated his playing. Thank you, Peter — and for the links, as well.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about *** Comments and Behavior On This Site *** on Dec 8, 2013 at 4:37 am

I use adblocker, too, but disabled it and those links just don’t work. (I’m on Chrome and Win7.) I don’t search from there, so had never noticed.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith commented about *** Comments and Behavior On This Site *** on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:49 am

Just a quick note of thanks for everything you guys do. I should take the time to keep with my own personal research and post more than I do, as this is an extremely valuable site to me, personally. Please do whatever you think best to keep it great.