Comments from Greenpoint

Greenpoint commented about Paramount Theatre on Jun 27, 2017 at 4:42 am

I was just in Newark today for a job interview and while I was taking a selfie of myself in front of the marquee…I was berated by local denizens “is that your welcome sign?”. I am educated and have no idea what they were saying…but it is such a shame that this place is not open. I have a certain cinephilic thirst for movie palaces…I have been told that it is tragically in horrible shape internally :( Apparently, they haven’t had anything inside for 30 years or better…

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Antlers, OK - Couple reopens Antlers movie theater on Jun 27, 2017 at 4:06 am

To the Maroney family: Thank you for your perseverance in keeping this celluloid love story going. I will make a pilgrimage to your neck of the woods, as soon as I get my act together with a license and vehicle..42 years and still unlicensed. :(

Greenpoint commented about Little Theatre on Jun 27, 2017 at 3:40 am

I was just near here at 10 am…I had been at a 9 am job interview….dindt venture inside, as I was headed back to the city to deal with other potential work related stuff

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Laguna Beach, CA - Future of Laguna Beach’s only movie theater is still unknown on Jun 9, 2017 at 7:34 pm

And I blame Netflix. Hulu. And various multitudes of streaming services.they are doing to cinema:what tv did to radio some 70 years back. I myself am guilty of streaming,however I still make my presence felt in multiplexes and support the fine art of cinema. Put down the laptop and get to the movies.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Winterset, IA - How a mother and her daughter saved an Iowa movie theater on Jun 9, 2017 at 7:28 pm

God bless you for keeping the indie cinema open. You have taken it back to the old school concept before multiplexes and stadium seating. I look forward to making a pilgrimage there.

Greenpoint commented about Paramount Theatre on May 23, 2017 at 12:49 am

thank you very much, what a classic shot.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Advert for "Soylent Green" Premiere on April 18, 1973 on Apr 21, 2017 at 4:04 am

awesome picture

Greenpoint commented about Boulevard Theatre on Apr 21, 2017 at 4:02 am

My mom took me here to see cheech and chong movies in the 80’s, as a little tyke….mommy whats the smell? I concur with fred1…yes it was later a nightclub…in the 90’s i frequented a heavy metal club across the street .

Greenpoint commented about Jackson Heights Cinema on Apr 21, 2017 at 3:58 am

rest in peace, another part of my childhood gone.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Douglaston, Queens, NY - Douglaston Macy’s and movie theater to move out, Lowe’s Home Improvement looking to move in on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:22 am

I don’t get out to Douglaston too much these days, I kind of forget there was a movie theatre there

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Jersey City, NJ - An Inside Look At The Stanley Theater’s Celestial Restoration on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:21 am

I love Jehovah’s witnesses as they respect their buildings….any old movie theaters that I have visited now under their control are in immaculate condition…I just wish they’d program 35mm movies…which must look amazing.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Century Stadium 14 Sacramento on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:13 am

the above link is the demolition crew bringing the dome down. this is tragic. it looked like a great place.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Century Stadium 14 Sacramento on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:11 am

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY - A Eulogy for the Pavilion, the Worst Movie Theater Ever on Dec 12, 2016 at 1:24 am

good riddance, I have only been here one time for the latest Jason Bourne installment back in summer 2016.There was a plethora of problems here, the AC broke..and we all had to move to a different theatre…I welcome the NITEHAWK people there, I have spent quite a many days and nights in there drinking and eating and watching films…they will be a great addition to the Park Slope citizens.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about New York, NY - Landmark’s Sunshine Cinema: Why New York Cinephiles Could Lose a ‘Crown Jewel’ on Dec 12, 2016 at 1:17 am

I am going to miss this place though,I have seen quite a few films here going back over the years. I bought tons of dvd’s here too…as the box office used to sell dvd’s at a point. Sadly there is a lot of competition from other indie houses…the Angelika and Film Forum are a stones throw up West Houston. The Cinema Village and Quad Cinema and new Metrograph are all in walking distance.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about New York, NY - Landmark’s Sunshine Cinema: Why New York Cinephiles Could Lose a ‘Crown Jewel’ on Dec 12, 2016 at 1:03 am

fun fact:on the way to the Chelsea to see die hard with a. vengeance… I stopped in and bought fireworks in here back in 1995…pre-pre Houston street/LES gentrification. at that point it was a storage warehouse/hardware store.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about A Tribute to Our Former Blog Editor Michael Zoldessy on Dec 2, 2016 at 9:54 am

Greenpoint commented about Alamo Drafthouse Westlakes on Dec 2, 2016 at 9:48 am

an all-you can watch special….sounds quite enticing.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Judge issues order putting Chautauqua Amphitheater demolition on hold on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:24 am

I would like to see a PHISH show there….I love the seating

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Dunwoody, GA - When will the historic Brook Run theater in Dunwoody be demolished? on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:20 am

how many seats does (or did) this theatre hold?

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about New York, NY - “Mr. Apollo” Has All the Stories About the Historic Theater in Harlem on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:18 am

Hello CT: I remember this story. James Brown asked to see his report card and actually told him that he needed to improve his grades or he couldn’t hang out there anymore.

Greenpoint commented about Leroy Theater on Mar 29, 2016 at 3:12 am

frank zappa played here 10/23/1977

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Board vote paves way for Chautauqua Amphitheater demolition on Dec 27, 2015 at 9:01 pm

my deepest condolences, remember our dearly departed are just not in our presence,they are now within our souls.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint commented about Here's a Fun Fact From Atlanta's Fox Theatre! on Dec 27, 2015 at 8:57 pm

thank you Joe….and nice house.