Comments from Bruce Calvert

Bruce Calvert commented about Rialto Theater on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:21 am

I have a program from 1917 for the “Family Theatre” at 3rd and Harris Streets. Do you think that it could be the same theater? It was printed in Philadelphia, but the city for the theater is unnamed.

Bruce Calvert commented about Rialto Theatre on Nov 5, 2012 at 4:09 am

Here is a Rialto Theatre program from July 27, 1919. Dorothy Gish’s NUGGET NELL (1919) was the main feature, and 10% of the ticket price went to the government for a war tax.

Bruce Calvert commented about Capitol Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 4:20 am

Here are two programs from the silent era from the Capitol, from 1921 and from 1922.

Bruce Calvert commented about Liverpool Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 3:21 am

You can browse a 1927 program from the Liverpool Theatre.

Bruce Calvert commented about Hudson Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 3:09 am

A 1916 program from the Hudson Theatre.

Bruce Calvert
Bruce Calvert commented about Loew's Colonial Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 3:05 am

A 1924 Program from this theater is at the Silent Film Still Archive.

Bruce Calvert commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:53 am

Even when this was a vaudeville theater in the early 1900s, there were still early movies on the program. The Silent Film Still Archive has two programs from 1907 and from 1908 showing Vitagraph actuality films on the program.

Bruce Calvert commented about Miller's Theater on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:47 am

I have a California/Miller’s Theater combo program at the Silent Film Still Archive.

Bruce Calvert commented about California Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:45 am

Bruce Calvert commented about Carolina Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:26 am

I have a program from the New Princess Theatre from October, 1925 at the Silent Film Still Archive.

Bruce Calvert commented about Palomar Theatre on Sep 11, 2011 at 5:28 am

Here is a movie program from the Pantages Theatre from April, 1929. The program is so jam-packed full of ads that it is difficult to tell which movies are actually playing.

Bruce Calvert commented about Sam's Place One and Two on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:45 am

I already had an Aldine program from this theater in Philadelphia, so I assumed that my 1925 program was from the same theater. I have corrected the webpage and posted the program on CT under the Pittsburgh Aldine.

Bruce Calvert commented about (New) Nixon Theatre on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:42 am

I have a theater program from the Loew’s Aldine for the week of March 9, 1925. They have a concert orchestra playing some music, and a couple of musical soloists. They are showing a newsreel, Felix the Cat in Felix Tries to Rest and the M-G-M feature The Great Divide.

Bruce Calvert commented about Sam's Place One and Two on Sep 3, 2011 at 9:45 pm

No it’s not just you. Here is a corrected link to the March, 1925 theater program for the theater, now called the Loew’s Aldine.

Bruce Calvert commented about Carrollton Movies 8 on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:26 am

I drove by this theater today and it is now occupied by MediaTech.edu, a video and music technology school.

Bruce Calvert commented about Loews Park Central on Sep 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I attended this theater in the 1970s and 1980s, and I could have sworn that the smoking section was to the left of the left aisle in each theater. I definitely remember the clouds of smoke rising from that side of the theater during a show. I believe that the fire marshal eventually forbid cigarette smoking in Dallas theaters.

The giant movie star mural on the wall was very cool. This was one of the first theaters that I went to with a really huge lobby, so that you could stay cool or dry while waiting for your film to start.

Bruce Calvert commented about Southwood Theatre on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:02 am

The Southwood was an AMC theater in 1981-1982. It was a dollar movie house. I worked there as an assistant manager my last year of college.

I’m sure that the auditorium was magnificent when it was a single-screen, but it was a bit awkward split down the middle.

Bruce Calvert commented about Aquarius 4 Theatre on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:53 am

I worked as a projectionist at the Aquarius in 1980 and 1981 while I went to school at the University of Texas. It was a first-run AMC theater then. It was not in the best part of town, and the theater had ushers posted in the parking lot at night to make sure that people didn’t have their car broken into. There was also an armed robbery at the box office.

I’ll never forget one weekend, when Austin was having huge floods and rain. The water was approaching the theater, but only cut off one road leading to the theater. A lot of people had to evacuate their homes, so they spent all day at the theater. We sold out just about every show.

Bruce Calvert commented about Gemini Drive-In on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:46 am

I remember loving it when my parents would drive home by this drive-in in the 1960s. I would always look out the window and try to figure out which movie was playing on one of the screens.

In the 1970s, they were showing a bunch of B-movie double features. My friends and I would get a car load of people to watch the films. It is really hot in Dallas in the summer, so sometimes it was more comfortable to sit on or next to your car.

The third screen was added much later. Besides the light pollution, I’m sure that the property taxes killed the theater, because the real estate in the area is worth a lot now.

Bruce Calvert commented about UA Prestonwood 5 on Aug 30, 2011 at 11:59 pm

The address posted above on Arapaho road is incorrect. That address was for the AMC Prestonwood 5. The correct address for this theater is/was Belt Line Rd. & Prestonwood Blvd. 5405 Belt Line Rd. Dallas, TX 75248

Bruce Calvert commented about Canyon Creek I & II on Aug 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm

This theater was inexpensively built in the 1970s and had very little legroom. In the 1990s, it was demolished and converted into a wedding chapel, along with other stores next to it. The location is now the home of the Richardson Theatre Center, used for live performances.

The theater was not at the intersection of Lookout and Custer, but in the Canyon Creek shopping center at 913 Canyon Creek Square

Bruce Calvert commented about Northwood IV on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I saw several films at this theater on the Richardson/Dallas city line in the mid-to-late 1970s. This was a cheaply built AMC theater with small screens. It was demolished to make way for a Tom Thumb grocery store.

Bruce Calvert commented about New Colonial Theatre on Aug 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Here is a January 1921 Theater Program from the New Colonial Theatre in Baltimore, Maryland.

Bruce Calvert commented about Lyric Theatre on Aug 15, 2011 at 2:38 am

And here is another program from April, 1932 for the Lyric Theatre.

Bruce Calvert commented about Lyric Theatre on Aug 7, 2011 at 3:31 am

Here is another program from the Lyric Theatre, from the week of May 31, 1931.