Comments from SingleScreen

SingleScreen commented about Kings Cinema on Nov 11, 2019 at 5:54 pm

I want there one time. I remember as being a rather small theater.

SingleScreen commented about David Cinema on Nov 11, 2019 at 5:53 pm

I remember going here one time after leaving the DuArt film lab. I was literally carrying at least two canisters of film. This place had a spiral staircase leading up to a lounge area.

SingleScreen commented about Adonis Theatre on Nov 11, 2019 at 5:49 pm

I went there with a friend on the very last night it was open in 1989. There was a crowd there, but not nearly as crowded as I thought it would be. Closing nights were something of a right of passage in NYC. I had gone there maybe once or twice before it closed. Fascinating place.

SingleScreen
SingleScreen commented about Bleecker Street Cinemas on Jan 29, 2019 at 12:01 pm

This was a great place to see films. My first visit there, if I remember correctly, was a double bill of DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS and THE VELVET VAMPIRE. I also saw Warhol’s TRASH and HEAT there, and later on late movies like THE SUCKLING and SPACE AVENGER.

SingleScreen commented about Carnegie Hall Cinema on Jan 29, 2019 at 11:55 am

I saw Joan Bennett in person here in November of 1980. It was a double feature of Scarlet Street and Woman in the Window, but in between features there was a short version of Alice In Wonderland in which Joan appeared. Joan walked up the stage and answered questions. It was a thrill to see her in person.

SingleScreen commented about Lighthouse Cinema on Jan 29, 2019 at 11:43 am

That is a great article, Dennis. Thank you for sharing that here!

SingleScreen commented about Azteca Theatre on Jan 29, 2019 at 11:41 am

There’s a newspaper ad from October 1969 that has it open.

SingleScreen commented about Quaker Drive-In on Dec 25, 2018 at 6:38 am

As a child, I lived quite close to this drive-in but don’t recall ever attending a screening there. We did, however, go to the near-by Bellingham Drive-In.

SingleScreen commented about Stadium Theatre on Jul 9, 2018 at 8:24 am

Returned here in the summer of 2017 for the first time in 28 years. So pleased to see The Stadium has been restored to its former glory! Saw a wonderful live show here.

SingleScreen commented about Criterion Theatre on May 29, 2018 at 1:26 am

I saw EVILS OF THE NIGHT here on Halloween night, 1985.

SingleScreen commented about Essex Theatre on Aug 28, 2017 at 5:55 am

I saw the double bill of THE MUTILATOR and PIECES as depicted in the photo. They screened the unrated version of THE MUTILATOR. If I remember correctly, it was January of 1985. Years later, the R-rated version played 42nd Street. http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/7881/photos/158124

SingleScreen commented about Strand Theatre on Jul 11, 2017 at 5:49 am

I lived in that neighborhood for years. I used to go to that store all the time, and I had no clue it had once been a movie theater. Wow!

SingleScreen commented about Anco Theatre on Jul 1, 2017 at 5:56 pm

I started going to 42nd street in January of 1986. I attended regularly for a few years, and I believe that last movie I saw there was in 1992. Somehow, I never made it to the Anco….

SingleScreen commented about Liberty Theatre on Jul 1, 2017 at 11:37 am

42ndStreetMemories, you say you didn’t pay $2.00 in the 60s. As late as 1986 or even a couple of years later, the first show on a Saturday morning when the theaters opened at 10:00 AM was only $3.00. And that was often for double or even triple features! Oh, those were the days! I’d grab a coffee and danish from a shop on Broadway around the corner, then head down the duece to check out what was playing and be in my seat watching the first flick by 10:00 AM.

SingleScreen commented about Lighthouse Cinema on Jun 22, 2017 at 4:22 am

To be fair, the Lighthouse didn’t always screen to audiences of one. A short time after my experience there, I hear of (but did not attend) a sold out standing-room only screening of a 1960s documentary featuring Mike Wallace. It was a television documentary titled The Homosexuals and you can read about it here: https://www.advocate.com/politics/media/2012/04/09/mike-wallace-and-homosexuals

SingleScreen commented about Lighthouse Cinema on Jun 22, 2017 at 4:12 am

I actually attended a screening at this cinema. I was literally the only person in the audience, and Dennis was kind enough the screen the film for me. The film was “Vampira: About Sex, Death and Taxes.” You can find my review of the experience on IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114823/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_12

SingleScreen
SingleScreen commented about Rustic Tri-View Drive-In on Jul 23, 2016 at 2:26 pm

In 1991, I caught a double bill of FX2 and whatever STAR TREK film was released around that time. It was the first and only time I’ve been there.

SingleScreen commented about Lincoln Mall Cinemas on Jul 23, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I saw JAWS there the week the cinema opened. That makes me feel so old. I saw quite a few films there. LOGAN’S RUN, FUTUREWORLD, a four-film Barbra Streisand festival, THE DEVIL’s RAIN, and a very bizarre double-bill (from Disney no less) of DR SYN ALIAS THE SCARECROW and another feature, can’t remember the name of the second one.

SingleScreen commented about Woonsocket Cinemas on Jul 23, 2016 at 6:28 am

I attended this cinema only one time during its short life. My mother and I saw INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE here.

SingleScreen commented about Bellingham Auto Theatre on Jul 23, 2016 at 5:14 am

I went there as a child. I remember seeing FOR PETE’S SAKE with Barbra Streisand.

SingleScreen commented about Midland Mall Cinema on Jul 21, 2016 at 9:06 pm

I went here only one time that I can remember, and that was to see Alain Resnais film PROVIDENCE in 1977. I also remember seeing a banner advertising a late-night screening of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

SingleScreen commented about Cine 42 on May 23, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I attended many screenings at this theater in the late 1980s. RAGE plus MONSTER SHARK was one memorable double feature. UNSANE plus THE KINDRED, CAGED WOMEN plus WOMEN’S PRISON MASSACRE, AGENT ON ICE and IN THE SHADOW OF KILIMANJARO, and so many more!

SingleScreen commented about Essex Theatre on May 15, 2016 at 4:51 pm

This was one of my favorite theaters. I went there for the first time in 1981, I believe, for a double bill of DRESSED TO KILL and BLOW OUT. I saw many double features there, especially horror and action films. DON’T OPEN TIL CHRISTMAS, EXTERMINATOR II, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, TERROR IN THE AISLES, HOUSE OF EXORCISM, SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT and so many more!

SingleScreen
SingleScreen commented about Capital Plaza Cinema I, II, III on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:34 am

Sad. I now live in that neighborhood an never knew it was a former movie theater.

SingleScreen commented about Soho Playhouse on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:24 am

In 1986, this theater screened the United States theatrical premiere of Dario Argento’s INFERNO. It was a 16mm print, and the film was reviewed that day in the New York Times since it was the first U.S. showing. It played for a two-day run (a Friday and Saturday). I saw it on Friday. It was awesome!