36 Skerry Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the south of the town, on Skerry Hill at the corner of Montague Street. The Rock Picture House and Variety Theatre opened on 24th October 1914 with a variety bill presented on the stage, and "The Valley of Death" plus short subjects on the screen. The corner entrance of the building had a hexagonal tower feature. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided in stalls and circle levels.
Initially an independently operated cinema, it was taken over by the Denman/Gaumont chain in March 1928. The Rock Cinema was closed in a rationalisation by the Rank Organisation on 30th October 1956 with James Stewart in "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and John Fraser in "The Good Beginning".
It was converted into retail use and became a glass merchants, and was last used as a pet shop operated by Kings Aquariums. It was demolished in September 2010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater