No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on 5th February 1917 with “Idle of the Stage”. The Picture House was located in Baildon, near Shipley, West Yorkshire. It was a two-storey red brick building with a half bay window overlooking a wrought iron and class canopy that ran across the entire front of the building. There were two storefronts, one each left and right of the theater entrance, and there was a café and a dance floor on the upper level. The cinema had a 22 feet wide proscenium.
It had a number of operators up until 1939 when the cinema closed for the duration of World War II, though the café remained open. During the war, it had some military use.
It reopened on 18th May 1945 as the Cinema, part of the A.S. Hyde circuit. In 1956, the Cinema was adapted for CinemaScope and seating was reduced from 550 to 396. The proscenium was widened to 25 feet. The Cinema presented its last films on 19th March 1960;the double (X) Certificate programme “Peter Cushing in "The Mummy” and Lee Paterson in “Bed Without Breakfast”..
After closing, the building was for a time used as a library. There was an attempt to sell it to the area council and to others, but these proved unsuccessful. The theatre was then demolished so that Northgate Road could be widened and the rest of the theatre’s footprint became the site of new development.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater