The latest movie theater news and updates
January 26, 2004
Sean Network Web Development is looking to do web development work for any non-profit theatre related groups (such as owners of theaters, “Friends of” groups, “Save the” groups, etc.) for little or no cost.
We are looking to build up our portfolio while creating awareness of preservation of theaters. We can create a full site for your theater group, and may also provide hosting. If you are a non-profit theater group please go to http://www.snweb.org to apply.
January 24, 2004
The group plans to document the destruction of the Grand, record memories of the theater from individual patrons, and generally mourn the theater’s loss. The Senator Theatre is also providing fresh popcorn for all in attendance.
January 23, 2004
A prankster puts the Madison Theatre up for sale on eBay, the Times Square Theater still searches for a savior, Yahoo and Fandango join forces on movie ticketing, and a nutrionist shares the bad news about movie refreshments (sadly) — all in today’s newsreel.
- EBay listing of Madison Theater hoax
- Group Wants Fox to Be Downtown Centerpiece
- Center seeks final funds to buy Roxy
- Theater deal ignites town identity crisis
- Curtain to rise on historical Yuma theater – again
- Mann Theatres proposes five-screener for Westwood
- THE DIET DETECTIVE: Getting Fat at the Movies
- Yahoo! Movies and Fandango Announce Long-Term Movie Ticketing Relationship
- 42nd Street’s Times Square Theatre Continues Search for Tenant
- These old houses: Historical preservation can pay off
FULLERTON, CA — The Fox Fullerton writes:
“If you attend just one meeting for the Fox, make it this one. It is critical that we pack the auditorium to show community support for saving the Fox! We will present our latest plans, and there will be an opportunity to give input. This may be our last chance to save this wonderful theatre.
• Rare vintage photos of the Fox from the Academy of Motion Pictures!
• Never-before-shown photos from private collections showing unique, hidden details!
• Artists' renderings of the Fox as an independent, art film center and live stage venue!
January 22, 2004
BALTIMORE, MD — Thanks to Ed Dobbins, we’ve got some photos from the demolition of the Grand Theatre, which began on Monday.
Animation of the Grand’s demolition
PITTSBURG, CA — Another change of fate for the “Enean Theatre” in downtown Pittsburg. After being anything but a movie theater for over 50 years, the theater will now be restored and brought back to its former use of exhibiting motion pictures and other events.
January 21, 2004
Roger Katz sent in some photos of the Dealey Center Theater:
“I saw an item on the Dealey Center Theater on today’s newsreel on Cinema Treasures. Here are some photos of the theater. If you do post these, credit them to Liz Katz as she actually took them and sent them to me.”
(For more information, read the original story in “The Dolphin”.)