Showing 201 - 225 of 2,291 comments
Actually the Playhouse was University Hall until about in 1903, when it was renamed Music Hall and may have gained its balcony, renamed again in 1912, when it was rebuilt as the Fine Arts Theatre which it remained until 1917, when it was renamed the Playhouse, until it was renamed World Playhouse in 1932. Oddly, in 1917, the Studebaker was run by Jones, Linick, and Shaefer while the Playhouse was run by Alfred Hamburger, a competitor.
Here are 1898 views of the Studebaker and the Playhouse (then known as University Hall until the 1916 remodeling)
Here are recent views of the Playhouse and Studebaker
Architects were Footlik & Rose
Robert Babbin was architect.
The BremenTowne Theater opened Jan 29, 1971 as a 1000 seat twin.
Actually opened June 10, 1966.
Original 1965 opening ad is posted. Original architect was Maurice Sornik.
Grand opening ad with illustration uploaded.
This was a Lubliner theater originally.
This was featured on the G4 program “Human Wrecking Balls”
http://www.openhousechicago.org/site/144/ This year’s OpenHouseChicago features the opportunity to step inside the Studebaker.
Well, I dunno why that guy brought it up, he doesn’t have much of a comment history. Is it more important to read comments about what monster movies someone watched 50 years ago than about the roles particular theaters played in the lives of a persecuted minority?
Theatre history is social history.
Dunno about the Alex, but the Patio was the subject of a couple raids on homosexuals.
As of 1973 when screen 3 was added, Golf Mill had the most seats outside of the largest palaces like the Chicago, Oriental, Granada, and Uptown, with 3200 seats.
Original screen measured 60x25
Lincolnshire’s IMAX is one of the few “True IMAX” in the area, with a 54 foot high screen. Navy Pier’s is 60 foot. Woodridge is 50 foot. Addison’s was 52 foot.
Here is a brief view of the Coronet in a Drivers Ed video, as found by David Zornig
Here is a brief view of the Valencia in a drivers training video, as found by David Zornig
Can you post some pictures here?
http://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-chicago-rush-oak-and-state-aerial-mr-kellys-nightclub-center-1966.jpg A photo of the original Canegie post-fire
This appears to have opened in December 1913, not 1912.