Comments from Life's Too Short

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,555 comments

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about It’s Fade to Black for Midtown’s Iconic Ziegfeld Movie Theater on Jan 30, 2016 at 6:18 pm

That totally sucks. But if it really has been losing $1 million annually I can understand to some extent. That’s a lot to eat just to keep a theater open.

It occurs to me that a non-profit or government organization could take over. But I guess there must not be any momentum for something like that.

Life's Too Short commented about Senator Theatre on Jan 19, 2016 at 5:01 am

Seems like there was considerable drama going on a few years ago, regarding the theater’s future. I’m glad to see it survived to write another chapter.

Life's Too Short commented about McVickers Theater on Jan 19, 2016 at 2:48 am

Is that really the McVicker’s? It looks an awful lot like the Chicago.

Life's Too Short commented about Garden Theatre on Dec 20, 2015 at 12:50 pm

1971 photo of auditorium here:

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Restoration News From the Garden Theatre in Pittsburgh, PA on Dec 20, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I’ve seen photos of the inside. If it was lovingly cared for at one time, it certainly wasn’t in the last phase.

It’s great that they’re doing something productive with it.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about After it was decided that the Paramount Theatre in Aurora would produce its own Broadway-style shows, Jim Corti was chosen as the theater's first artistic director. on Dec 20, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I would’ve shaken my head. It’s great that this new market is giving the Paramount so much success.

Life's Too Short commented about Cameo Theatre on Dec 19, 2015 at 10:15 am

I think all the Crobars are closed now. Nature of the business I suppose. Clubs always need to be new.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Broadway's Palace Theatre Will Be Lifted by Four Floors on Dec 16, 2015 at 6:44 am

I’m pretty sure it won’t collapse. If they could right the Costa Concordia and sail it away to an Italian Port they should be able to pull this off.

At first glance I’m not sure I see the cost benefit analysis in such an expensive project. But someone thinks it’ll work, and they very likely know more than I do.

Life's Too Short commented about Clermont Theatre on Dec 12, 2015 at 9:43 am

I wonder how many other businesses might be closing soon. Super high minimum wage, super high property taxes, “cloud” tax, crazy privatized street parking rates. Not to mention the sales tax. I bought a couch in Chicago recently and was shocked at how much the sales tax was. Next time I buy something like that there’s a good chance it will be in the suburbs.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Loew's Valencia Theatre on Sep 4, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Can anyone tell me if the chandelier shown in the Gothamist photo set is original to the auditorium? I’ve never seen an atmospheric design with a chandelier hanging from the “sky” before.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about News From Loews Jersey City on Jun 28, 2015 at 2:28 pm

My question is: how many venues can you have? They just finished renovating the Kings, now they are talking about renovating the Brooklyn Paramount, and they did a great job on the Paradise only to decide after a few years that it was more lucrative leasing it to Creflo Dollar.

If they do spend top dollar on a renovation I just hope the Jersey doesn’t end up being a millstone.

Life's Too Short commented about Kings Theatre on Jun 28, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I’ve heard the steel support work at the Jersey is too far gone to reinstall their vertical sign at present. I suppose that might be one positive thing to come from a big time company taking over, though I don’t generally care for the idea. I wonder what condition the support structure at the Kings is in?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about So Far We Visited 12 Theatres in 2 Days, Including Richmond's Carpenter Theatre on Jun 28, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I guess they need the prop clouds for the orchestra. But I don’t like the way they look. Wish they could find another way.

Life's Too Short commented about Eastown Theatre on Jun 20, 2015 at 10:19 am

News report after collapse:

Apparently it was due to illegal scrappers.

Life's Too Short commented about Eastown Theatre on Jun 20, 2015 at 10:16 am

So much for that:

But then, realistically it was probably done for years ago.

Life's Too Short commented about Kings Theatre on Jun 17, 2015 at 11:48 am

I know what you mean Mike. That terra cotta makes a really nice presentation. But the Kings doesn’t feel finished without a vertical sign.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Jun 16, 2015 at 8:21 pm

MarkDHite: They can take it all the way back to 1928 if they want to. If they were willing to spend the money they could make every detail look like opening day. It’ll be interesting to watch the situation develop.

Life's Too Short commented about Kings Theatre on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:17 pm

They spent so many millions on this (and it looks great, I’m not complaining). But after all that why not spend a little more to put in a new vertical marquee? Does anyone know the story behind that?

Life's Too Short commented about Fine Arts Theatre on Jun 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Modern photos here:

Life's Too Short commented about Belpark Theatre on Jun 12, 2015 at 5:43 pm

That’s quite a fundraising drive they pulled together.

I’ve been wondering what would happen to the Belpark. It’s been Golden Tiara for so long, it just seemed like the average run of a Chicago business meant change was coming.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about News From Loews Jersey City on Jun 10, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I really don’t understand why the two can’t coexist. Both bring something to the table. And anyway, it seems like these places are never booked as much as officials promised after the restoration is complete. So it is likely there would be plenty of time for silent movies and community events.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Owners' Hopes For Two Chicago Historic Theatres - Chicago Tribune on Jun 10, 2015 at 2:52 pm

The posting kind of puts them on the same level. But the New Regal is in far better shape, having been restored in the 80’s. The Central Park, from what I’ve seen, is kind of a disaster on the inside.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Oakland Square Theater on May 24, 2015 at 11:40 am

After closing as the Oakland Square, the theater was known for a while as the Afro-Arts.

The opening description for this theater also needs to be amended. This was far more than a hangout for gang members. As the “El Rukn Fort” it was on the evening news frequently in the 1980’s. Documentary here:

The El Rukn leader attempted to make a terrorism deal with Libya and ended up locked in Supermax somewhere.

As negative as it all is, this is a large chapter in Chicago’s history.

Life's Too Short commented about New 400 Theaters on Mar 29, 2015 at 5:55 pm

The description says it was divided in 1990. I think it was later. I remember seeing a screening of the Blade Runner Director’s Cut there, and I’m sure it wasn’t until around 1994-5. It was still a single screen.

Life's Too Short commented about Pike Theatre on Nov 14, 2014 at 7:29 am

If someone wanted to take the time, I’m sure the Historical Aerials web site could help clarify this point. That assumes they have coverage of Mobile.