Comments from Life's Too Short

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,568 comments

Life's Too Short commented about Avalon Theater on Sep 3, 2016 at 11:38 am

So many times restoration plans come and go. But this guy got it done, and it looks like he did a fantastic job. I had heard the second theater would be in the old balcony. But from photos on the Avalon web site it seems they must have built it out in an adjoining building.

Life's Too Short commented about Rogers Theatre on Aug 29, 2016 at 4:30 pm

The photo Brian uploaded on July 2 sure looks a lot like the Morse/Coed/Mayne Stage Theater in Rogers Park. Is there a connection?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Rialto Square Theatre on Aug 29, 2016 at 7:59 am

Article: Joliet leaders weigh-in on Rialto’s future

The Herald-News, Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Ford Center for the Performing Arts Oriental Theatre on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:24 am

I think the last chain to run the Oriental was M&R, rather than Kohlberg. But I wouldn’t swear to it.

Life's Too Short commented about Belmont Theater on Aug 8, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Great photos of the Belmont here:

Life's Too Short commented about Music Box Theatre on Jul 27, 2016 at 1:09 am

Haven’t been here in years. But my memory is that the concession stand was designed to blend with the lobby design. Hopefully whatever they put in during this renovation fits just as well.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about McClurg Court Cinemas on Jul 25, 2016 at 4:34 am

I used to work across the aisle from that guy in the Darth Maul costume seen at 2:33. He was quite proud of it. Had Star Wars stuff all over his work area. Wonder what ever happened to him.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Lincoln Village 1-6 on Jul 13, 2016 at 10:00 am

Passed by yesterday and saw the conversion underway. There is a large hole in the north wall. It is nice that something is finally being done with this property. It’s been an eyesore for quite some time. Uploaded three images to photos section.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Cleveland, OH - Historic Ohio Theatre lobby re-created 52 years after fire destroyed 1921 original on May 21, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Wow, what a gift. It looks like they did a fantastic job. Goes a long way to making up for what they did to the Allen, although I understand it must have had to do with keeping Playhouse Square viable. They must be still be doing well to attract this kind of capital.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 20, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Works here too bolorkay. It very well could be that your web browser got hit by some malware.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Alamo Drafthouse New Mission Cinema on Apr 13, 2016 at 7:45 pm

It’s always amazing when they sit for this long and then come back. The renovation looks fantastic.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Marcus Cinema Chicago Heights on Mar 22, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Wasn’t there a Cineplex odeon in Chicago heights? Was this it?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about GRANADA Theatre; Chicago, Illinois. on Mar 22, 2016 at 10:30 am

The story goes that the owner had that circular stained glass window removed and shipped to his home in another state. It was unfortunately destroyed in transit.

Can’t confirm that. But it came from a source who should know.

Life's Too Short commented about Capitol Theatre on Mar 21, 2016 at 1:39 pm

I don’t mean to be insensitive. But the question bears asking: Isn’t Flint basically a giant ghetto nowadays? If they do get the theatre project done who is going to drive to Downtown Flint to attend an event?

Life's Too Short commented about Good lord on Feb 13, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Does this suck? Yes. But I heard the theatre was racking up massive losses, and that no one stepped up with any sort of viable rescue plan. In that situation it isn’t reasonable to expect it remain open.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about The Hill Community Development Corp. Plans Redevelopment of the New Granada Theatre on Feb 13, 2016 at 1:36 pm

They may read your comments. It’s just that they may have other priorities.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about It’s Fade to Black for Midtown’s Iconic Ziegfeld Movie Theater on Jan 30, 2016 at 6:18 pm

That totally sucks. But if it really has been losing $1 million annually I can understand to some extent. That’s a lot to eat just to keep a theater open.

It occurs to me that a non-profit or government organization could take over. But I guess there must not be any momentum for something like that.

Life's Too Short commented about Senator Theatre on Jan 19, 2016 at 5:01 am

Seems like there was considerable drama going on a few years ago, regarding the theater’s future. I’m glad to see it survived to write another chapter.

Life's Too Short commented about McVickers Theater on Jan 19, 2016 at 2:48 am

Is that really the McVicker’s? It looks an awful lot like the Chicago.

Life's Too Short commented about Garden Theatre on Dec 20, 2015 at 12:50 pm

1971 photo of auditorium here:

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Restoration News From the Garden Theatre in Pittsburgh, PA on Dec 20, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I’ve seen photos of the inside. If it was lovingly cared for at one time, it certainly wasn’t in the last phase.

It’s great that they’re doing something productive with it.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about After it was decided that the Paramount Theatre in Aurora would produce its own Broadway-style shows, Jim Corti was chosen as the theater's first artistic director. on Dec 20, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I would’ve shaken my head. It’s great that this new market is giving the Paramount so much success.

Life's Too Short commented about Cameo Theatre on Dec 19, 2015 at 10:15 am

I think all the Crobars are closed now. Nature of the business I suppose. Clubs always need to be new.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short commented about Broadway's Palace Theatre Will Be Lifted by Four Floors on Dec 16, 2015 at 6:44 am

I’m pretty sure it won’t collapse. If they could right the Costa Concordia and sail it away to an Italian Port they should be able to pull this off.

At first glance I’m not sure I see the cost benefit analysis in such an expensive project. But someone thinks it’ll work, and they very likely know more than I do.

Life's Too Short commented about Clermont Theatre on Dec 12, 2015 at 9:43 am

I wonder how many other businesses might be closing soon. Super high minimum wage, super high property taxes, “cloud” tax, crazy privatized street parking rates. Not to mention the sales tax. I bought a couch in Chicago recently and was shocked at how much the sales tax was. Next time I buy something like that there’s a good chance it will be in the suburbs.