Comments from meheuck

meheuck commented about Shubert Theater on Feb 20, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I noticed that the Cox does not have its own listing. It seems to me that it was a substantial enough operation on its own from the Shubert that perhaps it should have a page.

When I went to see magician Harry Blackstone Jr. at the now-demolished Palace around 1980, he said that the last time he was in Cincinnati the Cox theatre was operating but was now gone. He then added that he hoped the next time he came to town he wouldn’t be performing in a parking lot.

Sadly, considering the fate of the Palace, he was not far off.

meheuck commented about Fox Belmont Theatre on Nov 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

A screencapture from the long-forgotten 1976 Craig Denney film THE ASTROLOGER features the Belmont marquee presenting the premiere of the film-within-the-film, also called THE ASTROLOGER:

meheuck commented about Livingston Theatre on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Well, if it does come down, I hope someone saves all that beautiful glass block, recycles it in another building. Dammit.

meheuck commented about University Village 3 on Feb 6, 2014 at 2:17 am

This theatre has reportedly closed, unfortunately.

meheuck commented about Variety Theatre on Aug 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm

It’s confusing – the marquee advertises the acts for Fais-Do-Do, which is the building on the corner, but to the best of my knowledge, no actual club activity goes on in the space where the marquee stands. Perhaps both are owned by the same party, and the actual theatre space is used for private storage or office space?

meheuck commented about Las Palmas Theatre on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Currently, the operators of Playhouse (the club that took over the Fox Theatre on Hollywood Blvd.) are operating this space under the name Sound.

meheuck commented about Yes Cinema on Feb 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Yeah, I suppose this is a Google Maps problem and not yours per se, but is there any way to notify them that their algorithm is screwing up this particular location?

meheuck commented about Bijou-Roxy-Ritz Cinemas on Nov 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Talked to my old friend Russ, and here’s what he remembered:

“I remember seeing one movie there – A Piece of the Action, one of the three pseudo-blaxploitation pictures Bill Cosby and Sidney Poitier did together in the ‘70s.

As I recall, the building, itself, was an attempt at a boutique mini mall, like what the Ludlow Garage tried being. The “theatres” were on the lower level, I believe. I put that in quotes because it was really just a three-screen theatre, with each screening room bearing a different name. I want to say the idea was to give each its own identity, in terms of what was shown, but that could be wrong. I think the top level might have been a club – it certainly became one. There was a record store – I still remember they had one of those stand-up displays, for Queen’s News of the World.

The screening rooms, themselves, were just like the old Studio Cinema, downtown. Long, straight, narrow rooms, canted floor, quarter size screen.

It was art house/revival house/second run, with the second run stuff intended to pay for the other stuff."

meheuck commented about AMC Marina Marketplace 6 on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:44 am

A friend who lives nearby has told me the theatre is closed. Indeed, there are no listings for it on Regal’s website.

meheuck commented about Regal Theater on Nov 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I take it that Mr. Edwards' renovation efforts were not successful.

meheuck commented about Bay Theatre on Nov 15, 2012 at 4:20 am

As of November, no news of progress on hiring new staff or reopening the place. Not promising.

meheuck commented about Mount Adams Cinema on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Tricia: thank you for sharing your memories of your dad and his time with the Mt. Adams. It saddens me that I never got to see the place when I lived in Cincinnati.

I’m wondering if you can help me with a little ROCKY HORROR history though. You’re claiming that ROCKY showed first at the Adams – do your remember the dates? My earliest memories of the movie playing in Cincy was seeing newspaper ads for it at a short-lived mini-plex in Corryville near UC – each room had its own name, so it was called “The Bijou, the Roxy, and the Ritz” – and then after that, its long residency at the Skywalk downtown, where I ultimately saw it. I’d love to establish a timeline for the movie.

meheuck commented about Algoma Theatre on May 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm

For what its worth, the abbreviation on Ste. (as opposed to spelling Sainte) is the generally accepted spelling for the city in both Ontario and in Michigan. As such some theatres have separate city listings because of the spelling overlap, like this one. These should all be fixed so they stay in the same heading.

It would appear the Princess on 163 Gore St. is for sale, last used as a nightclub:

The Biltmore/Odeon was refurbished and in operation as a live venue. Formely titled the Lock City Grand, it’s now just The Grand. No apparent website, but plenty of event articles:

Someone has set up a Facebook page for Historic Theatres in the Sault:

meheuck commented about Wiltern Theater on May 1, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Excellent. Thank you Joe!

meheuck commented about Wiltern Theater on May 1, 2012 at 1:32 am

I am trying to identify what I think is a former theatre just south of the Wiltern. The location is 721 S. Western Ave., zip code 90005. It is currently the home of a nightclub called Vibe, and was previously known as Le Cercle Super Club and Le Prive. The reviews on Yelp look pretty disturbing, something about it being a “booking” club…but anyway. There is a big marquee outside that looks very much like a theatrical marquee, so I’m wondering if anyone can verify if this was a movie house previously or did they just use that style of marquee for the building?

Here is a photo from its previous incarnation as Le Cercle:

meheuck commented about NoHo gets another new indy cinema on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:43 pm

“North Hollywood Independent Films Movie Theatre”

Talk about a long and somewhat dry name. They’re going to need something shorter and punchier.

meheuck commented about Magnolia Theatre on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:45 am

Shawn (Juronimoo), what can you tell us about the building since you’ve acquired it? I have to assume that the floor is leveled and there’s little left to suggest it had been a theatre, but are there any artifacts left? Wall hangings, light fixtures, sconces, anything?

meheuck commented about Americus Theatre on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Hank, how well do you remember Northside theatres? My dad recalls there being about 2 or 3 theatres in the area, and so far we’ve narrowed down the Park (Alpha Fine Arts) and the Americus, the latter he id'ed from its proximity to the now-closed Crazy Ladies Bookstore on 4039 Hamilton. He insists there was another theatre across the street from the Park/Alpha. Was that the Liberty? I looked up Liberty in Ohio, and there aren’t any listings in the Cincinnati area, can you help?

meheuck commented about Galaxy Glendale Marketplace on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:33 am

What’s happening with the property? Have they gutted it yet, or is there a chance someone will pick it up as Vintage did with the Exchange?

meheuck commented about Garden Theatre on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I’m sorry, that assessment was wrong: it will be nothing like the old Culver – there will be one performance space, not two. Reading more carefully, what I should have said is that right now, they have only installed 99 seats in the auditorium while they go about the renovations, and that 300 seats will be the ultimate capacity of the room when it is finished.

meheuck commented about Garden Theatre on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm

According to this article, apparently the balcony is gone:

“The auditorium, though, has largely been gutted. The seats were removed long ago and the balcony was torn down. The classic proscenium is in shabby shape. But the potential is enormous…[We can] convert the Garden into a state-of-the-art performance space with almost 300 seats…During the first phase we will create a 99-seat house with a platform stage within the larger auditorium. This will enable us to offer small-scale performances relatively soon—perhaps by this fall.”

Sounds a little like what went down with the former Culver theatre, which is now the Kirk Douglas theatre in Culver City – it will have a mainstage up front, but for the time being, they’re doing live stuff in a 99-seat room sitting at the back of the auditorium.

meheuck commented about Alger Theatre on Aug 25, 2011 at 1:25 am

Dennis Cozzalio wrote a wonderful piece about visiting this childhood haunt of his…or at least it was wonderful until a clueless projectionist tried to slough off running a scope movie with a flat lens:

meheuck commented about Pacific Sherman Oaks 5 on Aug 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm

No, the theatre that was in FAST TIMES was the previous AMC complex at the old Galleria mall, before the whole thing was torn down and rebuilts as the current open-air shopping district with the Arclight Cinema.

This was, however, the theatre that appeared in “ENTOURAGE” when the ficticious AQUAMAN movie had it’s well-received premiere.

meheuck commented about Campus Theatre on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Apparently the live operators have departed, and the theatre is vacant and available.

meheuck commented about Restaurant to takeover former Studio 1 on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm

The article mentions another Echo Park area theatre…

“The other, The Globe Theater, opened in 1912 at 1624 Sunset Blvd. and eventually changed its name to The Hollyway, according to That building that once housed The Hollyway is now La Guadalupana market.”

I was looking for it in the listings, and I didn’t find this…unless I’m looking wrong. Is this building/location in the database, and if not, could a knowledgeable person enter it?