Comments from Norman Plant

Norman Plant commented about State Palace Theatre on Feb 5, 2014 at 6:57 pm

This is great news. When I was there at the end of January the entire downtown area, and that area of Canal Street, looked amazing compared to my previous visit to NOLA. The restoration of the State completes an incredible recovery for the theater district. By the way, the ongoing restoration of the Carver is rivaled only by that of the Saenger and the Joy. Hoping for great success for all of these theaters, as well as ongoing success of the Prytania.

Norman Plant commented about Grand 12 on Jan 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Though boarded up and in disrepair, the building is still standing as of January, 2014.

Norman Plant commented about Kenilworth Cinema on Jan 19, 2014 at 3:39 pm

As of January 2014 this theater was still standing, as my pictures would attest. It is vacant, however.

Norman Plant commented about Loew's State Theatre on Nov 25, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Stephen, I echo the thoughts of TJ on your father’s passing. I have been fascinated with theaters since the late ‘60s, particularly with those in my hometown of St Louis, and your father filled in many of the holes of my research over the years through his comments and pictures. He will be missed.

Norman Plant commented about Queens Theatre on Sep 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm

When I was looking all over for these old theaters in St Louis back in the 70’s, I looked everywhere for this one. Turned out I had the wrong address (it was the 70’s after all). Then one day driving around for some other reason I found it. But I didn’t have my Kodak 110 camera with me. Never was able to get back to it before it was gone.

Norman Plant commented about Lafayette Theatre on Sep 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm

RetroMike, the picture of the Lafayette on your blog that I uploaded here was one I took in the early 70’s and not the 60’s. It was not long after (maybe a year) that it was torn down for a National Food Store.

Norman Plant commented about Times Theatre on Aug 10, 2013 at 8:01 am

This theater is closed.

Norman Plant commented about Majestic Theatre on Mar 23, 2013 at 8:43 am

msova, I totally agree. This theater will sit and crumble because the city can’t afford to raze it. Of all the places I’ve been taking pictures, this one was the one I was most concerned about my safety. I can’t see any hope for this one being restored or viable.

Norman Plant commented about 66 Drive-In on Jan 27, 2013 at 11:33 pm

All photos uploaded to this website attached to my name were personally taken by me and not pulled from any other source. If someone is linking to a flickr page it is not being uploaded or stolen from you, it is linking to your flickr page.

Norman Plant commented about Gem Theatre on Dec 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Joe, I believe you are correct. When the Stadium is included on CT I will link the photos to the proper theater.

Norman Plant commented about 19 Drive-In on Jul 14, 2012 at 6:09 pm

The Drive-In is still open though on the market. They are showing The Amazing Spider Man this weekend along with Brave.

Norman Plant commented about Town Theatre on Apr 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

This one is closed and for sale.

Norman Plant commented about AMC Crestwood Plaza 10 on Apr 12, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Kyle, you are correct. GCC was never involved in the Crestwood area. The Crestwood Plaza theaters (both the one in the food court area and the current one on the upper level by the former Dillard’s) have always been AMC. The Crestwood Theater up the street on Watson was a Mid-America house.

Norman Plant commented about Yale Theatre on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Chuck, I agree with you that the building doesn’t look like a 1914 building, but it looks like the facade was completely overhauled by the owner. The back of the building looks as old as the rest of the downtown area of Anna and looks like it could have been a 1930’s small town theater. I’m just not completely convinced either way that this is or isn’t the Yale.

Norman Plant commented about Yale Theatre on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Need some info please. This site has the address as 226 S Main and demolished while other sources list it at 327 S Main and the building being occupied by the local Moose lodge. I went by Monday night and it looked like it might have been a theater in a prior life. Hopefully someone from the area can help out.

Norman Plant commented about 270 Drive-In on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Mid-America especially. They put up those little twin theaters all over the place.

Norman Plant commented about Midway Drive-In on Feb 5, 2012 at 11:12 pm

The Drive-In looks so much better than when I came through 8 years ago and photographed it. Best of luck with it.

Norman Plant commented about Fox Theatre on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

What a beauty. Hope to someday get there and shoot this one myself.

Norman Plant
Norman Plant commented about Happy Holidays from Cinema Treasures on Dec 25, 2011 at 11:44 am

What a great job you guys do. Looking forward to more in the coming year.

Norman Plant commented about Crest Theatre on Oct 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Kyle, you are correct. The credit union is in the former Long John Silver’s building that replaced the Crest. I know this because I managed the Long John’s when it originally opened. It turned out to be one of their poorer locations and closed soon after.

Norman Plant commented about Saluki Twin on Sep 24, 2011 at 6:41 pm

After looking at older photos I had my doubts about the building. I believe the remaining picture would be what would have been the marquee but if that’s wrong I’ll remove it as well.

Norman Plant commented about Woodzo Drive-In on Sep 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm

No sign of the Newport when I was there last Wednesday. The field of the Woodzo is extremely overgrown save for the gravel car paths. It was impossible to get much of a picture of the back of the screen.

Norman Plant commented about State Theatre on Sep 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

There is a building at 1615 W State on the Virginia side of the street that looks very much like a theater. Could this be the State Theater?

Norman Plant commented about Holiday Drive-In on Sep 6, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Chris, in looking at the picture it does look like the projection is at the rear of the building. I never went to this one so I’m guessing you are correct. Now if you need any info on the Ronnie’s or South Twin I’m your guy.

Norman Plant commented about Holiday Drive-In on Sep 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm

This building sat out on the front of the property on Page. It really had nothing to do with the drive-in other than it was on the property.