Showing 1 - 25 of 686 comments
FDY and IMPA both list a Fiesta Drive-In, Lamesa, TX, from 1957 to 1970. Sky Vu Drive-In and Yucca Drive-In are also listed, so there appears to have been three drive-ins operating in Lamesa.
Kenmore: Are you in Kenmore, NY, outside Buffalo? Or are you named after the appliance company?
Grand opening on August 1, 1952. Now has five screens.
Lake Wallenpaupack Road at Pine Hill Rd
Greentown, PA 18426
The drive-in appears in various theatre listings from 1952-70.
It is visible on Historic Aerials using 1963 imagery.
Narrows Rd at Clearview DrLarksville, PA 18651
1648 Plaza LnAllentown, PA 18104
Now Rothrock Nissan.
Lake Aerial Hwy at Stock Farm RdLake Ariel, PA 18436
Appears in various theatre listings from 1958-70.
Capacity given as 150 cars.
“Drive-in opened at Lake Aerial Park, Pennsylvania” was possibly open as early as 1948, according to Billboard on July 17, 1948.
Drive-in is visible on Historic Aerials using 1963 imagery.
Site now occupied by a storage facility.
The address in the heading is way off.
There is now a small retail plaza at the front of the drive-in location, which includes a First National Bank and a UPS Store.
1766 Elmira StSayre, PA 18840
299 US-1 BUSFairless Hills, PA 19030
The above address will map to the location of the drive-in.
Susquehanna Trail at T530Glen Rock, PA 17327
Now VCA Old Trail Animal Hospital.
Wampum, PA 16157
Now Omni Precast.
Film Daily Yearbook and International Motion Picture Almanac both refer to this location as Sunset Beach Drive-In.
Grand Opening Newspaper Article.
US 15 at Silver Moon LnLewisburg, PA 17837
This is not the “largest screen in PA.” Not even close. The Circle Drive-In in Dickson City has a screen which is roughly 105 feet wide. The screen at the Silver is just under 90 feet wide, probably closer to 85 feet.
Old York Rd at Airport Dr
New Cumberland, PA 17070
Mt Pleasant Rd at Brinkerton RdMount Pleasant, PA 15601
In the 1953 aerial photo, you can see an older drive-in to the west being torn down, and the newer drive-in to the east being built. In the 1958 aerial photo, the drive-in to the east is fully operational, while the drive-in to the west is just a ghost. The drive-in to the east was obviously the Roosevelt. What was the original name of the drive-in to the west which was rebuilt or replaced by the Roosevelt?
All references in Film Daily Yearbook and International Motion Picture Almanac call this South City Drive-In. The grand opening ad indicates it was called South City Drive-In. The signage in the photo uploaded on the photo page also points toward this drive-in being called South City.
Correct address is:
625 Ridge PikeConshohocken, PA 19428
Elton Road at Theatre DrJohnstown, PA 15904
Now a Walmart.
June 21, 1952 article in Billboad indicates that the Arrow Drive-In in Danville, PA, has been recently opened.
The entrance to the drive-in was where Red Lobster is today.
HERE is a 1957 aerial photo of the drive-in, courtesy of USGS & Earth Explorer.
3588 PA-611Bartonsville, PA 18321
McDowell Lane at Lakeside DrCanonsburg, 15317
332 W Trenton AveMorrisville, PA 19067
Address is slightly off. Now a Family Dollar Discount Store.