Showing 1 - 25 of 70 comments
Foyer photo courtesy of Paul Brennan. At age 19 Paul leased the Avoca, then ruined and sodden from storm damage and saved it from demolition. He spent 17 years there turning it into a well maintained and loved local treasure. The foyer was filled with photos, posters and souvenirs from the glory days of theatres like the Plaza, the Summer Hill Grosvenor and the Capitol…souvenirs like the three red Metro seats.
The liquidators have a general meeting of members set for February 24, 2014. Details of the liquidation will be given along with how the property has been disposed of.
The final film was “On The Double” with Danny Kaye.Kevin Cork wrote about the widening of Parramatta Road and how 16 feet was carved from the front of the theatre resulting in the entrance being moved around the corner on Good Street.
Not much change on this bit of Pittwater Road since 1940
Very similar to Hoyts Vogue, Homebush, designed by Charles Bohringer and L.J. Buckland
I trekked all the way from Chatswood to see Kane there.
It was an excellent print. The only odd thing about the screening was a fellow who insisted everyone occupy the same seat they had before interval. This was a showing with not too many in the audience and not everyone would remember exactly which row they were in. Strange.
New in photos- a frontal view at last, courtesy of John MacRitchie of the Manly Library
Confirmed: Architects were Guy Crick and Bruce Furse.
Theatre historian Barry Sharp photographed the demise of the once grand Magnet and you can see the photos here –
The architect was J. C. Rennie and the theatre was built for Casmi Theatres Pty.Ltd.
Our thanks to Professor Ross Thorne for his comments but above all for his passion towards saving theatres as an important part of our architectural and cultural heritage.
Another nearby theatre is the Olympia De Luxe in Annandale.
The Kings was on Werona Avenue between Robert Street and the park. A block of flats replaced it.
In 1942 Guy Crick was hired to make alterations. He had designed quite a few homes in the surrounding suburbs as well as additions to the Pymble Golf Club.
The Christie organ was premiered with the film “King Of Kings” with accompaniement by Mr. Jenkins. The film was preceded by a recital with songs by Leslie McCallum.
Also close by is the Metro/Sesqui Theatre on the Pacific Highway near Hume Street.
Added to Photos: a shot of Nat King Cole who was appearing in the Harlem Blackbirds show although he got no billing on the front of house.
Several cast members were photographed taking time off at various locales like clubs and the children’s hospital.
Nearby theatres include those in Roseville, Chatswood and Gordon.
Photo from the collections of the Wollongong City Library and the Illawarra Historical Society
Photo from the collections of the Wollongong City Library and the Illawarra Historical Society.
Many thanks to Jo Hogan and Lisa Matuzelis of the Local Studies Department at the Wollongong City Library for providing information and photographs.
Thanks to Chloe O'Reilly of the City of Newcastle for her help in obtaining information and photographs from the Newcastle Cultural Collections at the Newcastle Regional Library
The Civic’s address was given as Kembla Street but that was for the back of the building. The front, as seen above, faced into Civic Square. When the theatre was remodeled a new entrance and lobby was built on Kembla Street.
Regent interior photos are from the collection of the Wollongong City Library and Illawarra Historical Society. Thank you Lisa!
Photo is from 1959. The marquee sign reads “First release simultaneous with City”The film shown is “Too Many Crooks” with Terry-Thomas and Sid James.