Comments from StanMalone

StanMalone
StanMalone commented about CineBistro Hyde Park Village on Oct 13, 2017 at 3:56 am

The comment by cvolosin mentioned that one of the many previous operators of this location was Madstone Theaters. They reopened an old GCC 8 in Atlanta, seemed to have plenty of money available to remodel, but no idea of how to actually run a theater. This is the first mention of this odd little company (except for the one in Atlanta) that I have seen on CT and I would be interested to hear anything anyone remembers about them.

StanMalone commented about Crossroads 2 Theatre on Oct 9, 2017 at 8:06 am

According to the ad that Mike has posted, it appears that both Loews and Wometco opened new theaters on Christmas Day 1965 with both showing secret agent movies.

StanMalone commented about Tahqua Land Theater on Sep 29, 2017 at 11:47 am

Maybe they saw my Georgia tag and thought I was a gun toting redneck, which I may be in their eyes. However, I know better than to try to take a gun into Canada.

Those are fine pictures in the photo section, especially the one of the old 35MM projector in the lobby. Obviously this place is a labor of love for someone. I hope the theater is still open when I make it up that way again.

StanMalone commented about Tahqua Land Theater on Sep 29, 2017 at 9:45 am

Actually, Newberry is a great place to visit. Located in the heart of the UP of MI, it is close to the falls but much quieter than the Sault Ste Marie area or the tourists in St. Ignace / Mackinac Island. Unfortunately the theater was closed both times I was there.

As for going to SSM Canada, it might be easier to drive to Detroit. Both times I crossed there the border check was more of a hassle and much more time consuming that my experiences crossing into East Berlin at Checkpoint Charlie. Maybe they treat locals better.

StanMalone commented about Jupiter Theatre on Sep 20, 2017 at 1:32 pm

While this location is indeed open, I doubt if it is showing movies as indicated in the header. The current occupant is Nabors Radiator and Electrical Services.

As to the question of it being a Jerry Lewis location, I do not think that it was. The location is pretty close intown for a JL as all of the ones I have known about were located in malls and shopping centers in the suburbs. The only JL that I am aware of in Birmingham was located in Vestavia Hills on US 31 next door to the Birmingham Lanes Bowling and the Thunderbird DI. It only operated for a couple of years before being bought out by the R.C.Cobb Company which changed the name to Vestavia.

StanMalone commented about Jupiter Theatre on Sep 20, 2017 at 4:55 am

I think that this is the theater that opened in April of 1969 as the Festival. Birmingham Wiki lists the address as 2500 7th Avenue South. Here is the link which includes a picture:

The Birmingham Rewound site has the opening day ad:

The Wiki description says that the site is now Nabors Radiator. That company uses a 25th Street address but the way the streets and street numbers are aligned means that the correct address for this theater is 2500 7th Avenue South, not 2400 which would be one block to the west.

StanMalone commented about Lyric Theater on Sep 17, 2017 at 10:00 am

The Galax was next door (toward 20th Street) to the Strand. I never saw a movie at either the Lyric or the Strand and do not even remember them being open. I do recall seeing them closed up when going to the Alabama or the Empire and also remember seeing the Strand under demolition.

The Rewound site has several ads for the Lyric during the early 70’s when it was called the “Grand Bijou.” The programing was early retrospective with a lot of Chaplin and other films like Casablanca.

Thanks for posting your Birmingham memories as there are not many CT people commenting on the theaters in this city. My Birmingham days were from 1953-67 but my movie going memories do not begin until about 1960 when I was 8.

StanMalone commented about Lithia Drive-In on Sep 11, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Most of the GTC drive Ins were operating into the 80s. When the Bankhead closed in 1983 I believe that might have been when this one went. The Big 3 which were the NE Expressway, South Expressway, and Starlight were still going in 1987 when the sellout to UA Theaters took place. The Starlight reverted back to De Anza control and the other two were closed and sold off.

As to the comment about this location being operated by Alpha Theaters, that is interesting. In the company directory the manager of this place was listed as Alpha Fowler.

StanMalone commented about Blackwell Playhouse on Sep 6, 2017 at 7:21 pm

This location was, I believe, opened by Mr. NormnSchneider in the mid 70s. In 1978 I paid my only visit to this location to see Dolby sound presentation of Star Wars. Mr. Schneider was a retired Altec sound engineer among the first generation to work in theater sound and had forgotten more about that business than most people would ever know. After his retirement he built this theater designing and constructing the sound and projection systems by hand. My one visit here was among the finest movie sound experiences I have ever had.

StanMalone commented about Dutch Square Cinemas on Sep 6, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Mike, I see it from your ads that this was opened as an UltraVision twin. Do you know if it was really expanded to four or did they just split the twins?

StanMalone commented about Regal Snellville Oaks 14 on Sep 6, 2017 at 7:00 pm

It will be interesting to see how many auditoriums they actually open. In most cases of old megaplexes like this these new operators only install digital in about half the auditoriums. Being open as late as this year it was probably all digital anyway but who knows if Regal removed the equipment when they left. It is the usual practice for these big chains to strip the theater bare and dump it in the landfill when leaving so as to prevent someone else from reopening it.

Of course it could be a sub lease left in operation just to aggravate Carmike/AMC.

StanMalone commented about Lyric Theater on Aug 12, 2017 at 8:44 am

An article in the Birmingham News from August 1950 announces the sale of the Community Theaters circuit to the Newman Waters Theater Company. The owner of Community Theaters was Frank Merritt and he was also the GM of the Acme Theater Company which operated the downtown locations Empire, Melba, Galax, and Royal.

Waters Theaters was also the owner of the Lyric although they did not operate it. That was the responsibility of Paramount through their Wilby-Kincey subsidiary. As part of this deal with Community, the contract with Paramoount was ended and management of the Lyric was taken over by Acme. That lasted for about eight years before Acme closed the Lyric followed four years later by the Strand. The Galax and Royal / Newmar had been closed earlier.

The Melba and Empire soldiered on until 1984, the last 15 or so as urban Blaxploiation houses under the management of R.C. Cobb.

StanMalone commented about Bellevue Cinema 12 on Aug 10, 2017 at 7:25 am

Well David, that is an interesting comment. Regarding that endless loop platter, this link is for a theater in Atlanta where I occasionally worked:

My comment is first in line and describes my experiences of running that thing which mirror yours. Further down there is a link to a theater in Delaware that actually used that abortion to run regular movies.

As for Regal paying minimum wage and requiring the operators to wear uniforms, that was standard practice for them in Atlanta. In addition, they were required to work the floor when not actually threading up, even if only for a few minutes. The point, of course, was to keep them from getting the idea that they were anything special and thus entitled to a living wage. AMC took it a step further by trying to make the booth position just like any other. They would try to make sure the manager scheduled different people to work the booth and that the “projectionists” worked shifts down on the floor. I received many prints directly from AMC theaters that were both damaged and improperly broken down.

I was amused the other day when AMC was forced to downgrade their guidance to investors because their big summer quarter is going to be a financial disaster. I do not understand this. For years I was told in negotiating sessions that having to pay a professional projectionist prevented the theater from making a profit. With the advent of digital, operatorless projection they should be making millions.

StanMalone commented about Georgia Twin on Jul 24, 2017 at 11:31 am

Still a church.

StanMalone commented about Thunderbird Drive-In on Jul 23, 2017 at 6:47 pm

While the Thunderbird played its share of sex and horror drive in fare, it was mostly a standard second run venue. The first run locations were still downtown or in the north side suburbs. First run movies did not come to the south side until 1977 when ABC opened the Hoover Twin about a mile down the road. In 1971 Cobb opened an indoor quad in the old Homewood Lanes bowling center but it was also second run.

If you look at the picture that Drive In 54 was kind enough to post, the building on the right is the Vestavia Lanes bowling center which is still there today. In 1972,a new shopping center was built on the other side of the Lanes. It contained a single screen Jerry Lewis Theater which competed for the second run product, but not for long. In less than two years Cobb bought it out, changed the name to “Vestavia” and for the next few years operated both an indoor and a drive in separated only by the bowling center.

StanMalone commented about Shades Mountain Drive-In on Jul 18, 2017 at 7:54 am

Like millions of other children of that era I have memories of attending the drive in dressed in my pajamas with pillows, blankets, etc… filling the back seat of the family sedan, in our case a Chevy of course. This was the closest location of any of the Birmingham theaters to our house. Because of the small number of first run theaters in town it was not unusual for lower profile first run product to play here, although two of my more distinct memories concern seeing 10 Commandments and The Longest Day, both sub runs, at Shades Mt.

Shortly after we moved, this location was demolished and the Red Lobster that now sits in the parking lot of the shopping center marks the rough location of the screen and box office. Cobb moved down to the foot of the hill near where 31 crosses I-65 and built a single screen drive in there called the Thunderbird. This location closed in September 1968 with the Thunderbird opening at the same time.

Among the last two programs to play here were “The Detective” with “Fathom” and “Wild In The Streets” with “Glory Stompers.” By this time Shades Mt. and then Thunderbird played fairly standard second run programs along with the Skyview and recently opened Mustang. The sex and horror programs usually associated with drive ins mostly played at the Airport, Bama, and especially the Robinwood locations.

StanMalone commented about Regal Tara Cinemas 4 on Jun 29, 2017 at 9:38 am

Yes, 35MM mono of course despite the side it was in having 70MM equipment. The other side had “The Deep” so it was a good summer for Loews. By the time it opened they knew it would be a big draw so they built a second concession stand in the corner of the lobby opposite the rest rooms. Obviously they knew where the real money was made.

StanMalone commented about Lincoln Plaza Cinema on Jun 24, 2017 at 3:42 am

Seattle: Was this one of the dozen or so nearly identical 8’s that GCC built in the late 80’s? The intro is a little vague. That batch seemed to have two other things in common: excessive rent and hard to find locations.

StanMalone
StanMalone commented about GCC Northwoods Mall Cinema I-II-III on Jun 23, 2017 at 9:28 am

Scott, regarding that Google picture that is currently appearing at the top of this page, is that the old lobby of the GCC 8? It looks like the layout of several 8"s that GCC built in the late 80’s. Appears to be some sort of sports bar now.

Also, regarding the original twin inside the mall, was that one opened by ABC in the late 60’s or early 70’s before being sold to Plitt and then Cineplex?

StanMalone commented about Swamp Fox Drive-In on Jun 23, 2017 at 8:21 am

Ahhh, the wonders of the internet and the interesting people you meet on it. I have never been to Australia, but I did run Breaker Morant and Crocodile Dundee. I also enjoyed the VFL games that were on ESPN in the early 80’s. In those early days when anything more than a four screen theater seemed like science fiction, there was only one ESPN, all sports, no talk and no politics. They were desperate for programming and would run the VFL games live overnight. I can still remember the opening theme:

The Maggies, Demons, Saints, the Hawks, the Lions and the Blues, The Dons, the Swans, the Tigers, Bulldogs, Cats and Kangaroos….

Sorry, a little off topic here. However, it is nice to think back to those days when most big releases opened exclusively at one theater and when the run was over you could catch it at a drive in like this one doubled up with something from the previous years from the film company vault. Usually whatever the local film exchange had a print of that was in runable condition.

StanMalone commented about Swamp Fox Drive-In on Jun 22, 2017 at 1:48 pm

If you think that name is odd then you are obviously not from eastern South Carolina. It is the legendary nickname of Francis Marion who fought the British in that swampy area during the revolutionary war. Mel Gibson’s character in The Patriot was very loosely based on him. Very, very loosely. Leslie Nielsen played the Swamp Fox in a Disney TV series of that name which occasionally ran as part of Disney’s Sunday night show.

StanMalone commented about Central Theatre on Jun 16, 2017 at 5:27 am

As to the previous comment by “Hhhh” posted on 6/14/17, while the events may be accurate I believe that he has this location mixed up with another theater, or really two other theaters.

Bestoink Dooley, real name George Ellis, did run an art house in the mid to late 60’s, but it was the Festival on Walton Street. When he left it became the Gay Paree and it has this page on CT:

George moved out to Ansley Mall and took over the Ansley Mall Mini Cinema and renamed it Film Forum. This was the place the Lonesome Cowboy episode referred to above took place although that was still during its Mini Cinema days before Ellis took over. The solicitor had tipped off the news media about the raid and film of the people exiting the theater, clearly recognizable to anyone who knew them, was shown on the 11PM news that night. The Film Forum has this page on CT:

As to the theater on this page, the Central, I was never inside. I did walk past it several times on the way to the Citizens Jewelry Company next door. In those pre Best Buy days, Citizens was the place to go for electronics at prices that beat Rich’s and Davison’s. I came to Atlanta in 1967 and by that time the programming here was as described by Jesse Brantley in the first comment on this page.

StanMalone
StanMalone commented about Park Mall Theatres 1,2,3, 4 on Jun 13, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Everyone, I have enjoyed this back and forth on the showtimes and lineups as we try to puzzle out the way things were done in those good old days. That ad is hard to read but to me it says:

Jaws at noon 2:15 4:30 6:45 9 and 11:15

Benji at 12:15 1:55 3:40 5:25 7 8:55 10:25

Wind And The Lion 7:05 9:15 and 11:30

All of these showtimes would fit into a single screen schedule although I am glad I was not the manager trying to pack those Jaws sellouts in with only 15 minutes intermission.

As a former manager there are several things about this that interest me. First, to Joe’s point, I have been involved in two openings where one theater did not open on grand opening day. Once was because it was not ready and like here they decided to advertise only night shows to give them the rest of the day. It still was not ready but they opened anyway with only half the seats in. In the other case the movie that theater was set to open with did not start until the next week. Both of these explanations could be the case here.

Or, they could have left the fourth theater unbooked and interlocked Jaws on two screens which would account for there not being two sets of show times. They might also have interlocked Benji in the afternoon and run Wind And The Lion only at night. I think that unlikely since at least in my part of the country Benji opened in the summer of ‘74 so it might have just been something for the kids.

Of course Michael has seen the ad in the paper that has Wind And The Lion on two screens and I have never known him to be wrong on something like this. If all four theaters were ready, and knowing the way business was done in those days, if I had to bet I would say that Jaws ran interlocked in two houses, Benji in one, and Wind And The Lion in one, maybe even giving up its afternoon slots for Jaws to be triple locked although I doubt that.

Michael, does your research show this to be an exclusive Jaws engagement for Tucson? If not and they were only contracted for one house maybe they were trying to boost their gross by playing it in two and trying to fake everyone out by falsifying the ad. In a small city like this I am sure someone would have noticed but I have seen that done many times in those days.

Perhaps the most simple explanation is the correct one. Either only three screens were ready and the third on not until that night or the fourth one was waiting for its opening attraction at a later date.

StanMalone commented about Gwinnett Place Cinema on May 31, 2017 at 7:36 am

Thanks for those pictures. They brought back a lot of memories. Based on the names of the managers listed under the logo for each theater, I can date the first Kiddie Camp flyer to 1985. I was at Northlake that summer and business was so busy that we used all three houses. Since Northlake was the only reel to reel GCC theater we were not able to interlock so we biked the reels from house to house starting shows every 30 minutes.

As for the movies themselves, Neverending Story was a big hit and I think we ran it every year. Annie was also very popular but it did not run as often because it was over 2 hours long. The bulk of the business for most of the theaters was from day care centers who would bring kids in by the bus load and more than 2 hours, especially at Northlake where the last show started at 11, caused them to get out too late.

Charlotte’s Web was another big hit. I think that the only thing that kept them from running it every year was print availability. Every projectionist dreaded the arrival of these prints, as well as the midnight show ones because the condition of the prints so poor. Sometimes it would take hours to inspect and repair a print and you had to do it since you were finished if you had a print break while running interlock especially at Akers Mill which had a very primitive, heavily modified interlock system. (Remember, this was in the day before the arrival of the polyester / mylar prints starting in 1996. Those were unbreakable which brought about its own set of problems, but that is another story.)Since GCC ran this program circuitwide, there were not always enough prints to go around even though they staggered the order and rotated the prints around the country.

The second Kiddie Show flyer is sometime after 1988 since it includes Hairston 8. Hairston was the citywide champ for kiddie show business. I worked there several times even after they did not use union operators regularly since the manager did not trust his staff projectionist to run it. They ran shows at 10, 12, and 2. At 10 we would interlock 7 of the eight houses, all the system would allow. At noon they would cancel the first show on four movies and run the kiddie show in the four large houses. At 2PM they would cancel another show of whatever adult movie they had and run it in the two big houses. All of this required a lot of print shifting and I think that my all time high was 17 print moves in one day before all of the regular movies were back where they belonged.

Like so much about this business, that was a time and experience that will never happen again.

StanMalone commented about Phipps Plaza Theater on May 30, 2017 at 11:37 am

It is hard to believe that I have been commenting on this site for 12 years, but in June 2005 I made my first comment on this theater. In it I lamented the fact that there were no known pictures of the auditorium in its original Ultravision configuration. This link:

is to a picture of the Plaza Theater in Columbus Ga. ABC built some wonderful looking Ultravision theaters in the late 60’s. Some like the Plaza were free standing and had a very impressive and distinctive look while others like Phipps were built in malls. The auditoriums however, except for size, were identical as they had to be to use the Ultravision process.

This picture is exactly what the Phipps auditorium looked like. Imagine dark red seats and deep gold curtains and you get the idea. The picture was floor to ceiling and if you look closely you can make out where the edge of the screen was, one floodlight inside the exit doors. The curtain, when opened, did not bunch up at the edge but disappeared behind the wall drape between the screen and the exit door. At the edge of the screen on each side was a bank of vertical floods. Whenever a movie with an overture played the house lights could be darkened and the vertical screen floods used until the end of the overture and the opening of the curtain.

Great looking presentation in these houses second only in my experience to the old Martin Cinerama / Atlanta Theater downtown which had a deeper curve and ribbon screen.