Comments from StanMalone

StanMalone commented about Georgia Twin on Mar 2, 2018 at 12:43 am

If any Atlanta area CT readers want a final look at this place they should get over there soon. The Children’s Healthcare development has demolished the massive Southern Bell training center next door (including the 15 story hotel) and their new facility is well on the way to completion. McDonald’s, which takes up what was the front parking lot of the old theater, is still there and doing big business feeding the army of construction workers. The theater building is being used as the offices of all of the different construction contractors working on the project. The front office area built onto the lobby by the church is the reception area. It is fairly neat, but as for the rest of the building, well anyone who has ever worked a construction job can guess what type of shape it is in.

The old Morrison’s / Piccadilly cafeteria next door that shared the lot and parking lot with the theater is closed and inside still looks the way it did on its last day of business. As soon as the current construction is complete this entire block will probably go to make way for the next phase of the CH development.

In total this place had about 10-12 years as a prestige first run location. (1964-1975) In 1976 it was twinned and never ran another exclusive first run release. Georgia Theater bought it in 1977 and occasionally used it as a move over house for Lenox but mostly for second run. It was then taken over by the Drafthouse people who removed the wall and ran it several years as a single. According to a newspaper article on the Duffy Drafthouse chain McDonalds bought the property, moved its location from around the corner on Briarcliff road to here and kicked out the theater in favor of the church.

StanMalone commented about Benson Theatre on Jan 25, 2018 at 1:30 am

Is this a production photo or a screen shot? I tried freeze framing and then advancing my blu-ray one frame at a time to try to get the name of this theater. All I got before the scene change was the title “Network.”

StanMalone commented about Jerry Lewis Cinema on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:39 am

Thank you for those comments. There were four JL’s in Atlanta, all twins and all opened well before this one. The one in Birmingham opened the same time as this one. Maybe they decided single was the way to go by then. One of the Atlanta ones operated as JL for about four years then went the softcore route like so many others. It closed last year after an amazing 47 years in operation.

StanMalone commented about Jerry Lewis Cinema on Jan 11, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Most Jerry Lewis locations were twins. This is only the second that I have seen that was a single screen. The other was in Vestavia Hills Alabama, a suburb of Birmingham.

StanMalone commented about South Dekalb Cinemas 12 on Dec 23, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I tried the website to see what was going on at this location and all you get is a blank page. If you click on the tab for all showtimes you get only the two Florida theaters. So, it looks as if this place may be closed yet again. I believe this would make the fifth time which has to be approaching some type of record.

I also looked up some yelp reviews on the mall itself and apparently it has turned into a real dump, and a not very safe one at that. One reviewer said that if it were not for all of the police and private security the place would be half empty. Makes sense since there is a police station in the parking lot next to the theater entrance.

As for the theater itself, a comment from 10/15/17 states that the theater is now closed.

StanMalone commented about Roxy Theatre on Dec 18, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Somewhere in the hundreds of previous comments on this page someone pointed out that the opening overhead sequence of West Side Story passes over the site of the Roxy. If you are quick with the pause button you can see the site as a big, open pit, dirt hole.

StanMalone commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Nov 21, 2017 at 8:25 pm

82: I notice from comments on this and other pages that you are a big fan of recliners. Think about this for a moment. If those dirty floors and cupholders bother you just imagine how long it has been, if ever, since the recliner you are sunk down into has been cleaned.

StanMalone commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 21, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Thanks Michael for another interesting article. The excellent book “Indecent Exposure” by David McLintick deals with Columbia Pictures and the David Begelman episode. There is a good bit of narrative about Close Encounters as well as the events surrounding its World Premiere at the Ziegfeld.

The day after the premiere the board was due to meet to finally decide to either reinstate Begelman or fire him. The board wanted to keep Begelman. The Chairman, Alan Hirschfield wanted him out, and while in the lobby of the Ziegfeld prior to the screening Hirschfield was informed that Beagelman’s allies on the board were launching a conflict of interest investigation concerning Hirschfield’s wife.

Great news to get right before speaking to the invitation only audience of the biggest Columbia release in years. There is also an interesting story of how a reviewer was able to sneak into one of the test screenings two months earlier in Dallas and wrote such a negative review that it drove the stock price of Columbia down 20%.

As for this theater, it had an exclusive run for four weeks followed by an exclusive in Manhattan for the remainder of its 23 week run. By the time it left, Close Encounters had grossed over $2,000,000 at the Ziegfeld alone.

StanMalone commented about Cinema City VIII on Nov 16, 2017 at 1:15 am

Since pictures do not lie, I guess this proves that Norm Levinson did smile on occasion. Personally I never saw it happen nor do I know of anyone who did but there it is. In 1990, when Norm retired, Cobb did what many thought impossible. He hired a UA Theaters exec from New York that made Norm seem like Mr. Rogers.

StanMalone commented about Dutch Square Cinemas on Oct 30, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Thank you. The header should be changed to three screens and the narrative of the overview changed to show this was expanded to a triple. The grand reopening ad that Mike posted shows it with three features.

Mar312, I managed an UltraVision twin for Georgia Theater Company. They were fine looking theaters with a beautiful picture on the big curved screens. Unfortunately the UltraVision shape made them perfect candidates to be twinned. When it came time for my theater, I suggested that they do what was done here, leave one side intact. No such luck.

StanMalone commented about CMX Hyde Park Village on Oct 13, 2017 at 11:56 am

The comment by cvolosin mentioned that one of the many previous operators of this location was Madstone Theaters. They reopened an old GCC 8 in Atlanta, seemed to have plenty of money available to remodel, but no idea of how to actually run a theater. This is the first mention of this odd little company (except for the one in Atlanta) that I have seen on CT and I would be interested to hear anything anyone remembers about them.

StanMalone commented about Crossroads 2 Theatre on Oct 9, 2017 at 4:06 pm

According to the ad that Mike has posted, it appears that both Loews and Wometco opened new theaters on Christmas Day 1965 with both showing secret agent movies.

StanMalone commented about Tahqua Land Theater on Sep 29, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Maybe they saw my Georgia tag and thought I was a gun toting redneck, which I may be in their eyes. However, I know better than to try to take a gun into Canada.

Those are fine pictures in the photo section, especially the one of the old 35MM projector in the lobby. Obviously this place is a labor of love for someone. I hope the theater is still open when I make it up that way again.

StanMalone commented about Tahqua Land Theater on Sep 29, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Actually, Newberry is a great place to visit. Located in the heart of the UP of MI, it is close to the falls but much quieter than the Sault Ste Marie area or the tourists in St. Ignace / Mackinac Island. Unfortunately the theater was closed both times I was there.

As for going to SSM Canada, it might be easier to drive to Detroit. Both times I crossed there the border check was more of a hassle and much more time consuming that my experiences crossing into East Berlin at Checkpoint Charlie. Maybe they treat locals better.

StanMalone commented about Jupiter Theatre on Sep 20, 2017 at 9:32 pm

While this location is indeed open, I doubt if it is showing movies as indicated in the header. The current occupant is Nabors Radiator and Electrical Services.

As to the question of it being a Jerry Lewis location, I do not think that it was. The location is pretty close intown for a JL as all of the ones I have known about were located in malls and shopping centers in the suburbs. The only JL that I am aware of in Birmingham was located in Vestavia Hills on US 31 next door to the Birmingham Lanes Bowling and the Thunderbird DI. It only operated for a couple of years before being bought out by the R.C.Cobb Company which changed the name to Vestavia.

StanMalone commented about Jupiter Theatre on Sep 20, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I think that this is the theater that opened in April of 1969 as the Festival. Birmingham Wiki lists the address as 2500 7th Avenue South. Here is the link which includes a picture:

The Birmingham Rewound site has the opening day ad:

The Wiki description says that the site is now Nabors Radiator. That company uses a 25th Street address but the way the streets and street numbers are aligned means that the correct address for this theater is 2500 7th Avenue South, not 2400 which would be one block to the west.

StanMalone commented about Lyric Theater on Sep 17, 2017 at 6:00 pm

The Galax was next door (toward 20th Street) to the Strand. I never saw a movie at either the Lyric or the Strand and do not even remember them being open. I do recall seeing them closed up when going to the Alabama or the Empire and also remember seeing the Strand under demolition.

The Rewound site has several ads for the Lyric during the early 70’s when it was called the “Grand Bijou.” The programing was early retrospective with a lot of Chaplin and other films like Casablanca.

Thanks for posting your Birmingham memories as there are not many CT people commenting on the theaters in this city. My Birmingham days were from 1953-67 but my movie going memories do not begin until about 1960 when I was 8.

StanMalone commented about Lithia Drive-In on Sep 11, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Most of the GTC drive Ins were operating into the 80s. When the Bankhead closed in 1983 I believe that might have been when this one went. The Big 3 which were the NE Expressway, South Expressway, and Starlight were still going in 1987 when the sellout to UA Theaters took place. The Starlight reverted back to De Anza control and the other two were closed and sold off.

As to the comment about this location being operated by Alpha Theaters, that is interesting. In the company directory the manager of this place was listed as Alpha Fowler.

StanMalone commented about Blackwell Playhouse on Sep 7, 2017 at 3:21 am

This location was, I believe, opened by Mr. NormnSchneider in the mid 70s. In 1978 I paid my only visit to this location to see Dolby sound presentation of Star Wars. Mr. Schneider was a retired Altec sound engineer among the first generation to work in theater sound and had forgotten more about that business than most people would ever know. After his retirement he built this theater designing and constructing the sound and projection systems by hand. My one visit here was among the finest movie sound experiences I have ever had.

StanMalone commented about Dutch Square Cinemas on Sep 7, 2017 at 3:12 am

Mike, I see it from your ads that this was opened as an UltraVision twin. Do you know if it was really expanded to four or did they just split the twins?

StanMalone commented about NCG Snellville Cinemas on Sep 7, 2017 at 3:00 am

It will be interesting to see how many auditoriums they actually open. In most cases of old megaplexes like this these new operators only install digital in about half the auditoriums. Being open as late as this year it was probably all digital anyway but who knows if Regal removed the equipment when they left. It is the usual practice for these big chains to strip the theater bare and dump it in the landfill when leaving so as to prevent someone else from reopening it.

Of course it could be a sub lease left in operation just to aggravate Carmike/AMC.

StanMalone commented about Lyric Theater on Aug 12, 2017 at 4:44 pm

An article in the Birmingham News from August 1950 announces the sale of the Community Theaters circuit to the Newman Waters Theater Company. The owner of Community Theaters was Frank Merritt and he was also the GM of the Acme Theater Company which operated the downtown locations Empire, Melba, Galax, and Royal.

Waters Theaters was also the owner of the Lyric although they did not operate it. That was the responsibility of Paramount through their Wilby-Kincey subsidiary. As part of this deal with Community, the contract with Paramoount was ended and management of the Lyric was taken over by Acme. That lasted for about eight years before Acme closed the Lyric followed four years later by the Strand. The Galax and Royal / Newmar had been closed earlier.

The Melba and Empire soldiered on until 1984, the last 15 or so as urban Blaxploiation houses under the management of R.C. Cobb.

StanMalone commented about Bellevue Cinema 12 on Aug 10, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Well David, that is an interesting comment. Regarding that endless loop platter, this link is for a theater in Atlanta where I occasionally worked:

My comment is first in line and describes my experiences of running that thing which mirror yours. Further down there is a link to a theater in Delaware that actually used that abortion to run regular movies.

As for Regal paying minimum wage and requiring the operators to wear uniforms, that was standard practice for them in Atlanta. In addition, they were required to work the floor when not actually threading up, even if only for a few minutes. The point, of course, was to keep them from getting the idea that they were anything special and thus entitled to a living wage. AMC took it a step further by trying to make the booth position just like any other. They would try to make sure the manager scheduled different people to work the booth and that the “projectionists” worked shifts down on the floor. I received many prints directly from AMC theaters that were both damaged and improperly broken down.

I was amused the other day when AMC was forced to downgrade their guidance to investors because their big summer quarter is going to be a financial disaster. I do not understand this. For years I was told in negotiating sessions that having to pay a professional projectionist prevented the theater from making a profit. With the advent of digital, operatorless projection they should be making millions.

StanMalone commented about Thunderbird Drive-In on Jul 24, 2017 at 2:47 am

While the Thunderbird played its share of sex and horror drive in fare, it was mostly a standard second run venue. The first run locations were still downtown or in the north side suburbs. First run movies did not come to the south side until 1977 when ABC opened the Hoover Twin about a mile down the road. In 1971 Cobb opened an indoor quad in the old Homewood Lanes bowling center but it was also second run.

If you look at the picture that Drive In 54 was kind enough to post, the building on the right is the Vestavia Lanes bowling center which is still there today. In 1972,a new shopping center was built on the other side of the Lanes. It contained a single screen Jerry Lewis Theater which competed for the second run product, but not for long. In less than two years Cobb bought it out, changed the name to “Vestavia” and for the next few years operated both an indoor and a drive in separated only by the bowling center.

StanMalone commented about Shades Mountain Drive-In on Jul 18, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Like millions of other children of that era I have memories of attending the drive in dressed in my pajamas with pillows, blankets, etc… filling the back seat of the family sedan, in our case a Chevy of course. This was the closest location of any of the Birmingham theaters to our house. Because of the small number of first run theaters in town it was not unusual for lower profile first run product to play here, although two of my more distinct memories concern seeing 10 Commandments and The Longest Day, both sub runs, at Shades Mt.

Shortly after we moved, this location was demolished and the Red Lobster that now sits in the parking lot of the shopping center marks the rough location of the screen and box office. Cobb moved down to the foot of the hill near where 31 crosses I-65 and built a single screen drive in there called the Thunderbird. This location closed in September 1968 with the Thunderbird opening at the same time.

Among the last two programs to play here were “The Detective” with “Fathom” and “Wild In The Streets” with “Glory Stompers.” By this time Shades Mt. and then Thunderbird played fairly standard second run programs along with the Skyview and recently opened Mustang. The sex and horror programs usually associated with drive ins mostly played at the Airport, Bama, and especially the Robinwood locations.