Comments from StanMalone

StanMalone commented about Park Mall Theatres 1,2,3, 4 on Oct 19, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I have just re-read the comment by Dallas and realize that I misunderstood it the first time. As a result, my reply to Michael’s comment is not really relevant. So, I will try again.

Since Tuscon in 1975 was not nearly the city it is today, it is possible that they had an exclusive run on Jaws with the only restriction being a minimum length run which was certainly not an issue here. Not only would Universal been unlikely to care if another house was added, they might have even been in favor of it. That way, even more of the box office would be earned at the start of the run when the film rent was higher.

I have seen this done a few times when theaters knew that they had a hard opening date for the next attraction booked and wanted to get in as much business on their current hit as they could before they had to let it go. Much more common, at least in my experience, was the practice of putting an exclusive run hit in the smallest house knowing that people would wait for the crowds to die down since there was no where else to see it. This way, the the run could be extended and more of the box earned later in the run after the rental rate had decreased.

Of course this was all during the 70’s. Now there is no such thing as exclusive runs and the first weeks gross is an important part of the word of mouth campaign.

StanMalone commented about Park Mall Theatres 1,2,3, 4 on Oct 18, 2015 at 2:00 am

Perhaps it was not an official or even contractually legal two screen booking. I can recall many episodes especially in the pre megaplex and multiple print years where theaters added an extra house for a night or even a week. Much more common was moving a hit into a larger house and vice versa with a flop despite the bid being for a specified number of seats house.

StanMalone commented about Sandy Springs Mini Cinema on Oct 9, 2015 at 1:46 am

Chris, thank you for the compliment. I do my best although my memory does play tricks on me from time to time. It is nice to know that there are people out there who value such efforts.

As for your question, the above ad is on the correct page. This is confusing to someone who did not live it, but the easiest way to keep it straight is to remember that the other theater never had “Sandy Springs” in its name and kept the same owner the entire time. It opened as “Cinema 285” and before too long was renamed “Hammond Square Cinema” when the shopping center it was in was renamed. (The reason for all if this is in my intro for that theater on its page.) It was run by Georgia Theater Company for its entire run.

This location started off as “Sandy Springs Mini Cinema” the third of what would be a chain of five mini cinemas in the Atlanta region plus some out of town locations. In 1971 it was renamed “Sandy Springs Theater” by its franchisee when they pulled it out of the Mini Cinema chain when the chain was sold. In 1973 another new owner purchased all of the Atlanta properties and reunited them under the Mini Cinema name calling them “A Division of Conners Capital Corp.” (Except for the Peachtree Battle and Ansley Mall locations which had already been sold off.) In the summer of 1974, all of these plus the under construction triple on Franklin Road in Marietta were sold to Weis Theaters which was a major player in the Atlanta first run/exclusive run market.

This might not be exactly accurate, but it is the way the story was told to those of us who worked there at the time. The ad above is from the spring of 1974 based on what was playing. By this time I had graduated from college and was managing a theatre for Georgia Theatre Company. I can date this by the Papillon sub-run ad and the Great Gatsby ad to the right. (The Lenox ad was for Where The Lillies Bloom.) This was just a month or two before the chain was sold to Weis. The reason such a low rent film was playing in this neighborhood location was simple. The current owner, not nearly as nice to work for as the original people, owed money to all of the major studios for unpaid film rent plus National Screen and every concession supply house in town. The only distributors he could get product from were minor independents that he did not yet owe money to.

As to why Weis even got involved I do not know. They were a Savannah outfit and controlled that market, but they had no sub-run locations here. Maybe they wanted some or maybe they foresaw the coming of the end of the exclusive first run days and wanted a wider presence for the wide break patterns to come. If so they were very smart as in 1977 they got three of the four Atlanta bookings for Star Wars. However, they soon blind bid their way into the poor house and sold off their properties and left town.

Sandy Springs was the only one of their locations that did not continue on as a theater for at least a few years.

StanMalone commented about Thunderbird Drive-In on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:12 pm

I wonder if this location was a Cobb Theater. The sign looks identical to several Thunderbird Drive Ins that the Cobb company operated in Georgia and Alabama.

While in college I often attended the Starlite Drive In in Milledgeville Georgia. It was a Cobb theater and they also did the “Banko” thing on weekends.

StanMalone commented about Sandy Springs Mini Cinema on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Sorry, but it looks like I have opened a can of worms here. The address is now correct, but the name of the theater is now wrong. The name of the theater that the comments on this page refer to is “Sandy Springs Mini Cinema.”

Cinema 285 is the original name of a theater across the road and down a block which was located at 5930 Roswell Road 30328. It is now an AKA name since the shopping center that it was located in was renamed Hammond Square shortly after the theater opened. The name of the theater was changed by its operator, Georgia Theater Company to Hammond Square Cinema in a vain effort to give people a better idea of where to find it. Its page on CT is:

In summary, this page should be named Sandy Springs Mini Cinema. The address is now correct. The status should be “Demolished” and 350 seats can be added if you wish. Under previously operated by, delete Georgia Theater Company and put Weis Theaters. Under previous names leave Sandy Springs Theater and add Weis Sandy Springs. Sorry for the confusion. These corrections should clear things up. The problem stems from two theaters with almost identical time lines being located acrss the street from each other. Also, the introduction is almost completely wrong. I think that Jack was using newspaper ads for his sources and these places changed names and in the case of this location owners as well. The customers were also confused as it was common for someone to walk in and after seeing what was playing ask where the movie they were looking for was. It was always at the other theater.

If you need a nice, short into for this page, try this:

“Built in an existing storefront by Modular Cinemas of America and opened as the third Mini Cinema during Christmas of 1967. Always a single screen second run neighborhood theater. Closed 1979.”

For what it is worth, all of the information on the Hammond Square Cinema page is correct.

StanMalone commented about South Dekalb Cinemas 12 on Oct 8, 2015 at 12:54 pm

If you Google “James Duffy” you will get page after page of legal documents along with a few more newspaper articles. It looks as if he, at least in more recent years, was in the “getting sued” business rather than the movie business.

Before I started running projection booths I was in the management end although only as a theater manager, never any type of home office work. However, almost everyone in this business in Atlanta had heard of James Duffy. He first came to my attention when he bought up the old Georgia Cinerama, removed the wall and opened it as one of the first drafthouses. I think the actual name was Cinema ‘N Drafthouse. According to one of those leagal documents the McDonalds that now sits in the parking lot there bought the property and moved him out. The building is now a church.

Duffy then moved his operation to the North Springs and stayed there for several years although according to an article in the Knoxville paper, not without problems with the landlord, the IRS, and a whole slew of creditors. For a while he also controlled the old Capri Theater in Buckhead. In the late 90’s GCC, which was on its last legs, had some kind of relationship with Duffy and the DM office at Parkside (where I was working the booth at the time) had the Drafthouse people using some of that office suite.

When GCC shut down, Duffy took over the Hairston 8 and ran it as a dollar house under the EFW banner. The closest I came to working for him was in 2001 when one of the former GCC managers who was now working for Duffy called and asked if I was interested in running the booth at Parkside/Sandy Springs which they had just taken on. Their problem as it was explained to me was that one of their people wanted to show how well he could run the booth. This person went into the Parkside booth which had been closed for over a year and cranked up the sound to the point that several of the drivers were blown. I did not really want to get involved with EFW since I had heard of problems with bouncing paychecks and since this type of problem was really beyond my ability anyway I declined. I guess they finally got someone to get everything running although when I went back into that booth to work for George Lefont I found that they had just robbed the drivers out of some of the existing speakers that were not damaged so that some of the 4 channel houses only had about one and a half channels working.

From the stories in the papers, it seems that Duffy then went into the theatre building business in partnership with local governments, mall and property owners, and investors. Some very nice and impressive theatres were indeed built, but if those stories are true then everyone from the taxpayers to the ticket takers got left holding useless checks, or maybe no check at all when the theatre closed down.

I think that anyone who has been in this business very long has probably heard stories like this especially involving small independent operations, but this case with so many theatres spread over so many states is certainly imressive.

StanMalone commented about Sandy Springs Mini Cinema on Oct 8, 2015 at 1:15 am

The address on this page needs to be changed. The correct address is 6125 Roswell Road, Atlanta Ga. 30328. It is now the location of the Brickery Restaurant. When the Sandy Springs closed up, it was completely gutted for a seafood restaurant and in 1990 that one gave way to the Brickery. This December (2015), the Brickery will close and the entire shopping center will be demolished for a new development. This was the first shopping center built in Sandy Springs and dates to about 1960. The theater was built in 1968 and closed about 1979 or so.

The current address at the top of the page is for an apartment complex about a mile south and inside I-285.

StanMalone commented about North Springs Theatre on Oct 7, 2015 at 2:06 pm

An August 2011 article in the Knoxville News Sentinel has this paragraph about the North Springs:

North Springs Cinema ‘N’ Drafthouse — Atlanta

One of the few Drafthouses the Duffys operated, the North Springs Cinema ‘N’ Drafthouse, opened in June 1991, just six months after McDonald’s purchased the property where the Duffys' prior Atlanta Drafthouse had been, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Less than seven months later, three construction supply companies sued for unpaid bills. Three judgments totaling $7,292.51 were ordered, one of which was paid off two years later.

In late 1996, U.S. Internal Revenue Service agents raided the theater, seeking $48,490.95 in unpaid payroll and corporate income taxes and late fees.

The theater had re-opened by March 1997, according to a Journal-Constitution report. The landlord filed an eviction suit for unpaid rent in September 2000, and the theater closed shortly after.

This is the link for the entire article:

A Google search of James Duffy turns up many pages, mostly filled with court actions.

StanMalone commented about South Dekalb Cinemas 12 on Oct 7, 2015 at 1:49 pm

RStewart: Thank you for that comment. I looked on the North Springs page that I had commented on years ago and found a link to an article in the Naples Florida paper. It was an investigative report on a Naples Theatre owned by James Duffy and what happened to it. Even if you have no connection to any theater in it the article is well researched and makes for interesting reading. It is not a pretty story. Here is the introduction:

Court cases found: 69

Number of money judgments: 47

Judgment total: $24.6 million

Amount paid: $141,208.84

Total theaters found: 88

Number of theaters announced that never opened: 21

Number of theaters open less than 3 years: 37

Number of theaters open 3 years or more: 30

Number of states: 26

Number of theaters in Florida (most of any state): 17

The link for the entire story is here:

StanMalone commented about South Dekalb Cinemas 12 on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:53 pm

I have just noticed that in the comments above, there is no mention of the fact that this place is closed again, probably forever. That American Screenworks era lasted less than a year I think. There was a big legal tangle with the developer who I think was named Duffy, and a lot of creditors from the construction. At least one and maybe two more operators gave it a try, but just as with the old Magic Johnson location across town at Greenbriar they were not able to make it work.

GTC made tons of money with South DeKalb and Greenbriar during their prime days in the 70’s (and in the case of Greenbriar, the mid 60’s) but this is just another case of nothing lasting forever.

StanMalone commented about South Dekalb Cinemas 12 on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:46 pm

This is from a comment by “dmorgan” made on the page for the Candler Road Mini Cinema which was located across Candler Road from the mall. We were talking about the incredible jump in business during the summer of ‘78 at South DeKalb after the twin was quaded in the fall of 1977:

“I remember SD would get Jaws 2, Grease, Heaven Can Wait, Foul Play, and Jungle Book that summer. Saw those movies there or the Glenwood Drive In. Boy, talk about timing. I would say summer 1978 was the first official blockbuster summer as we would come to know it. (Star Wars, of course, kicking things off the summer before with Jaws as a primer in ‘75.)

Like you, and as more of a youngster moviegoer, I was saddened with the butchering of SD into a quad. That being said, they sure got to play a lot of successful product, and nobody seemed to care as I can remember packed houses, lines outside past the Barrel of Fun. (Although I do remember long line down the mall for Freaky Friday on a Saturday when it was a twin!) I think they were the only quad around except Akers Mill at the time."

South DeKalb was in a great location for an intermediate break house when it opened. All of the first run theatres were either downtown or on the north side, and getting a hit from one of those locations was like getting it first run. In 1974 I remember The Sting, Herbie Rides Again, and Longest Yard having repeated sellouts when they arrived after the end of their exclusive northside runs.

After the days of exclusive runs ended starting in 1977, South DeKalb still did tremendous business since the closest first run competition was Stonemont on Memorial Drive. The Belvedere never was much of a factor and Candler Road Twin did not even register. 1978 was one of the busiest summers ever but I remember Escape From Alcatraz, Prophecy, and Amityville Horror in 1979, Airplane, Empire and Urban Cowboy in 1980, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, Tarzan, and Eye of the Needle in 1981.

I left South DeKalb after that summer and followed Tommy Pike up to Greens Corner which was a brand new and even busier location. South DeKalb started a slow decline about 1984 or so, but was still doing well when GTC sold out to UA Theatres in 1987. UA had little use for a quad in those days when eight was starting to seem small, and no use at all for the employees they inherited from GTC. I do not recall when this location closed, but those years I was there from 1974 until 1981 were very happy and enjoyable times.

StanMalone commented about Candler Road Mini Cinema on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time to record your memories of that very busy and fun time. I am impressed by your memory. I can remember those days, but then I was living those experiences every day for a living while you were just an avid moviegoer. I am going to cut and paste your South Dekalb paragraphs onto that page and comment there. That way anyone interested in that location will see them.

GTC made a mint with that UA contract and it was safe since they did not need to do any bidding, blind or otherwise to get good movies. Sometimes there were off years like ‘74, but then '75 was one of the all time busiest so they had a good deal there. Just the 007, Pink Panther, and Woody Allen movies insured a good flow of product. The only ones I remember them not playing were the roadshows of Fiddler on the Roof and Man of La Mancha, the Cineramas like Mad Mad World and Last Tango In Paris because they did not want to be raided.

Cone, glad to see you are still keeping up with this site. You may be interested to know that the site of the Sandy Springs, which has been the Brickery Restaurant for decades is about to be demolished. The entire shopping center has been sold for a big new retail and apartment development. Thanks again for providing me with a great place to work during my college years.

StanMalone commented about Candler Road Mini Cinema on Oct 5, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I think that when Candler was first sold it was part of a block of mini cinemas and perhaps GTC did not want to take on the whole lot. Or, maybe they were interested but Weis outbid them. A couple of months earlier GTC had been involved in the strangest change of ownership I ever saw when they purchased the Parkaire Twin from Loews. (You can read that one on the Parkaire page if interested.)GTC was a pretty conservative outfit and maybe Parkaire took up all of the money they were prepared to risk.

Also, 1974 was shaping up to be a bad year at the Lenox Square since it was tied to the United Artists Pictures contract. I think that the top grossing film there all year was Sleeper which was really a Christmas 1973 release. Point is, although 1974 was a very good at several of the theaters I worked in, the owners were obsessed with Lenox. If things were bad there they might have been less inclined to expand.

In the fall of 1977 SD was twinned on each side and Christmas of 1977 and spring and summer of ‘78 were huge. When Weis left town a year of so later it is probable that they did not consider Candler worth worrying about to the point that they did not even track it. I recall that in late '80 or so SD was booked with Coal Miners Daughter. The manager called the booker to tell him that Candler, a dollar house at the time, was at that moment running that movie. The response from the booker was: “O, thanks. I forgot about that (blank)hole.”

As to its location, you are correct. I saw it every night when I was managing SD since I had to use the NBG right next to it for the night deposit drop. (The family that owned GTC also owned a lot of NGB stock.) However, the shopping center extends out towards Candler Road more than I remembered it so I could not find the exact spot when I last was by there.

StanMalone commented about Village Theatre on Oct 3, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Second point first. Being Ultravision, the South Dekalb auditoriums were almost square and had 540 seats. So when split they were not quite as long as Village and Suburban after twinning but with 338 seats were almost as big. In all three cases, they used the seats removed for the wall to add rows in front. I was only in the original Village a couple of times but I recall thinking that it had a wider and shallower auditorium than the Eastern Federal houses where I was working at that time.

I worked at the Village for most of the summer of 1974 and got to know the twins well. They might have been a little wider than South Dekalb because I remember that they had six seats per row on the new wall side and seven on the outer section. However South Dekalb and Suburban had rockers and the Village had smaller stationary seats so that might have been the reason. I was one of the unfortunates who was tasked with the job of pulling and reinstalling those Village and Suburban seats. At the Village, two men could move a seven seat row by themselves. At Suburban we had to break them up into threes.

As to your question about business, my stock answer is that any theatre, given the right movie at the right time will pack ‘em in. I can remember capacity crowds at almost every theatre I ever worked in. I even saw them shut the gate at the Starlight Drive In to avoid a gridlock because all of the fields were full and the driveways as well. I can remember full houses at the Village both before and after the dollar days which started about 1977 due to the opening of the GCC Northlake in the summer of '76.

Georgia Theatre almost never sold out of a location and I did see them close a few down, like the Hammond Square. So, since I was obviously wrong in my earlier comment about the Village closing in 1978 instead of maybe as much as 10 years later, it probably made money as a dollar house. If they got a big movie that had not played at Northlake they could do pretty well. Superman played at Stonemont and Buford Highway so Village was well positioned to draw new crowds when they got it.

As to the closing date of the Village, I think that can probably be guessed as sometime after 1987. That was the year Georgia Theatre sold out to United Artists Theatres. UA wanted an Atlanta presence without having to build one up so they just bought GTC just as Regal later bought up Storey. Those people came in here with a vengeance intent on getting rid of as many of the GTC people as they could as soon as they could. As they were only interested in locations like the Lenox, Southlake 8, Shannon 8, and Greens Corner, this applied to theatres as well.

All of the drive ins and the rest of the indoors were soon closed up and their employees let go. No effort was made to match the managers, projectionists, or janitors with openings that the theatres they were keeping open. Indeed, those people had been moved out with the same undisguised glee as the people at the closed up locations were. Those of us lucky enough to stay in the business by finding jobs at other theatres had the pleasure of watching this initial group of thugs kicked out when UA went through an ownership change, and later that group hit the road when Regal took over.

Sometimes payback is not a bad thing.

StanMalone commented about Pittsford Plaza Cinema 9 on Oct 2, 2015 at 7:41 pm

This is an interesting theatre. I worked at all of the General Cinema Theatres in Atlanta and I am familiar with all of the Georgia and South Carolina locations and I have never known one to be located in anything other than a purpose built location. It was always either a new free standing building or part of a new shopping center.

The 70MM projector was probably a Cinnemaccanica Victoria 8. All of the comments here seem to indicate that this location was equipped the same as two Atlanta locations opened at that time, the Merchants Walk 8 in 1986 and the Parkside 8 in 1987. They also had the single THX / 70MM house. The only 70MM to play there were Far and Away and Dick Tracy.

When Gcc closed down, Merchants Walk was taken over by Georgia Theatre Company and converted to stadium seating. However, the Parkside had a history much like this one. In fact, the current operator has also just removed the original seating and put in recliners. The seat count in the large auditoriums dropped from 340 to 133.

StanMalone commented about Salem Gate Cinema on Sep 23, 2015 at 10:44 pm

That story may be exaggerated somewhat, but it is what I was told. Actually, it makes some sense. GTC never met a theatre that it considered too small to build or twin. The final incarnation of the Lenox Square Theatre, their pride and joy, had two theatres in what had once been the lobby of the original #1 house. They seated 110 and 118 respectively and had such tiny screens that the sides of the scope picture and the top and bottom of the flats were cut off.

GTC had an odd habit of buying up theatres that they really had no use for just to keep the competition from getting them. In the 10 years or so that I worked for them this happened four times. The theatres were the Loew’s Parkaire, the Garden Hills, the Georgia Cinerama (Georgia Twin on this site) and this one. In each case there was a successful GTC nearby that they wanted to protect, in this case, South DeKalb.

While they were willing to buy and operate them that did not mean that they were willing to compete with their own locations or operate them at a loss. I had forgotten until I looked up its page that the Septum started out as a four, but when word got out that it was on the way, that is when GTC started to look to get out. Having Conyers to yourself (except for the Moonlit) was one thing, but they were not interested in trying to operate Salem Gate against a brand new quad.

I doubt that GTC would ever have put in the type of money involved to quad the Salem, but it made for a good story. And, since Septum ended up buying it, maybe it is true. Now, maybe someone can tell me why GTC never bought the Candler Twin.

StanMalone commented about Starlite Drive-In on Aug 19, 2015 at 12:46 am

I can not say for sure when this location closed, but it was probably later than 1964. Cobb Theatres took over the operation of the Waters Drive Ins and their only indoor, the Eastwood Mall in the late 60’s.

StanMalone commented about Suburban Plaza Theatre on Aug 8, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Dennis: I actually have a copy of the opening day issue of the Atlanta Times. I hope those people in the picture got their fill of movies quick because I do not think that the Times lasted even a year.

StanMalone commented about Holcomb Woods 6 Cinema on Jul 29, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Evan, can you shed any light on the Septum connection to this location:

StanMalone commented about Eastwood Mall Theatre on Jul 28, 2015 at 1:22 am

The Birmingham Rewound website has blessed us with this page:

It is the program for the grand opening of the Eastwood Mall Theatre. Among other revelations, it shows that I was wrong in my first comment where I wrote that the theater was opened by Cobb Theaters. It was opened by Newman Waters who operated most of the Birmingham area drive ins including the Starlite Drive In which was located adjacent to the mall. The Waters family was also the developer of Eastwood Mall.

The opening of the theater took place on Christmas Day 1964 at 2PM, and the feature was “The Pleasure Seekers” starring Ann-Margaret.

StanMalone commented about North Dekalb Theatre on Jul 22, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Thanks Josh. My second hand story told to me by someone who was not there at the time was that AMC took over the old Cineplex and expanded it to an 8. He did not know if they just split the auditoriums or expanded the space. They certainly expanded it when they went to 16.

I hope the CT people will leave the pages as they are. Market Square should qualify as a different theater and have its own page. Otherwise they might just list it as an AKA on this page. The problem with that as with many other locations on this site is that the search engine does not recognize AKA names so anyone typing in the former names gets a no listing found message.

StanMalone commented about North Dekalb Theatre on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:39 pm

You are absolutely correct Joe. I don’t know why I did not notice that. Not only that but there are not one but two pages for the current AMC 16 and to make matters worse I actually commented on one of them, something I have no recollection of. Guess that is what too many hours of listening to film click through the gates does to your mind. I never worked at any of these theaters and never was inside the quad or the 16, so my only information comes from my memory of the newspaper ads (back when there were ads in the paper) and talking to someone who once ran the booth for AMC.

Raymond Stewart is pretty knowledgeable about theater history in Atlanta and he seems to think that the space of the Cineplex was incorporated into the AMC. Maybe Josh can confirm this one way or the other. In the meanwhile I will let someone else clean up the mess regarding the duplicate pages and the question of having a separate page for the Market Square. While I only know a little of the history of the theater on this page, I know nothing dependable about the other two.

Maybe I should spend my time checking to see if there are any other rogue comments of mine out there.

StanMalone commented about Suburban Plaza Theatre on Jul 21, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Dennis: Thank you for posting that picture. I have never seen a view of the theater from the Martin days. That group standing in front is too large to be the theater staff I would think. Do you know who it is?

StanMalone commented about North Dekalb Theatre on Jul 21, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Josh, thank you for the correction. Since I have not attended a movie at North DeKalb Mall since Freebie And The Bean in March of 1975, when the theater on this page was still a single, I will yield to your superior knowledge. Actually, all of my information regarding Cineplex and AMC came from a conversation with an employee of the AMC 16.

If I am correct about the CT policy, the Cineplex quad should have its own page separate from this one and the AMC 16 since it occupied a different space even though it is in the same mall. Just like the two Phipps Plaza theaters have their own page.

StanMalone commented about North Dekalb Theatre on Jul 21, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Like most first generation malls, North DeKalb underwent a rebuild in the mid 80’s. The theater wing was torn down and what stores of the original mall were left were remodeled as was the surviving mall area. (The theater was never actually part of the mall but had an outside entrance just outside the southern entrance to the mall area.) The Cineplex quad that was located in a newly built area on the west side of the mall was not officially one of their “Jewel Box” designs but looked a lot like them.

It was at this point that the mall was renamed Market Square probably because the mall was located in almost dead center DeKalb County and had two newer malls located to the north within the county limits. When it was built as the Atlanta areas first enclosed mall in the early 60’s it may have been located in the northern part of the population map, but by the mid 80’s it was central DeKalb in all respects. Some marketing expert probably came up with the new name which did not last long. Everyone likely to shop there knew where North DeKalb Mall was and before long the name was changed back to North DeKalb.

I do not know how long Cineplex stayed there, but I would guess that it was at the same time that they closed their Jewel Box theaters which were all 6plexes that AMC took over this location. I think that it was still a quad then and AMC increased it to eight. Later they doubled it again to 16. To answer you question Dennis, the Cineplex quad was located somewhere within the footprint of the existing AMC 16.

PS: Thanks Dennis for that great picture you posted on the Suburban Plaza page.