Comments from StanMalone

StanMalone commented about Mall 1 and 2 Theatres on Dec 22, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Well, it was 40 years ago that this program also opened at the Plitt Stonemont Twin in Atlanta. Stonemont had been opened as a twin by ABC in June 1976.

StanMalone commented about Georgia Twin on Dec 21, 2019 at 6:43 pm

Well, you can certainly add the tag “demolished” to the header as there is nothing left but a concrete slab. I have posted a couple of pictures to the photo section. One of them shows the site of the lobby.

This theater was built by Martin in 1964 in the living room style of the mid 60’s when there was a lot less neon and more character involved. The original name was Georgia Cinerama. In the foreground of the lobby picture you can see the map of Georgia that was inlaid into the tile floor between the doorman’s position and the concession stand. I remember this from my movie going days but had forgotten about it. By the time I worked here it had been twinned and the lobby, in addition to having another set of rest rooms installed, had been carpeted.

Lots of good movie going memories here for me during the single screen days, starting with Patton in the summer of 1970. Some of the others I can recall were Tora, Tora, Tora, Andromeda Strain, Mary Queen of Scots, Frenzy, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Sting, Airport 75, Front Page, and probably others. Although I looked inside many times, I don’t recall ever actually watching a movie here after it was twinned. Terrible presentation with tiny screens, keystoned projection, seats still in their original curved rows so they didn’t really face the new screens…..I could go on and on, even more than I already have.

StanMalone commented about Martin’s Georgia Cinerama on Dec 21, 2019 at 6:07 pm

All that is left of the fine (well, fine before it was twinned at least) Georgia Cinerama. That slightly taller slab in the background is the site of the Morrison Cafeteria next door.

StanMalone commented about Astor Theatre on Dec 8, 2019 at 2:58 am

David and Mike, thank you. That is the one. I didn’t know that you could type in an aka name and get the current name. I know that is not always the case. Maybe it is because it is still open under the newer name. I was working for Loews in Atlanta in the spring of 1975 when they twinned the theater I was managing. The previous project for the man in charge was the Astor Plaza. During the three weeks he spent in Atlanta he told me a good bit about the construction of the Astor Plaza.

Previous to this I had worked for Walter Reade at The Atlanta until they sold out to a local company and left town. I heard plenty about The Ziegfeld whenever anyone came down from New Jersey. In 1984 I finally made my first trip to NY and looked up these theaters I had heard so much about. Since I didn’t have time for two movies and since the Ziegfeld was playing Razors Edge, I opted for the Astor Plaza. I finally made it to The Ziegfeld in 2007 during that brief period when they brought back some of the classics.

Thanks again for the prompt replies. I forgot to subscribe to this page when I posted that question so I am just now getting them.

StanMalone commented about Astor Theatre on Nov 21, 2019 at 8:48 am

I am trying to ID the theater where I saw Beverly Hills Cop during the Christmas season of 1984. The theater name was Astor but it was not this Astor. It might have been named Astor Plaza and was located just off of Times Square. Since it is not listed here I assume it is listed under a different name. Can anyone here help me out? I believe it was operated by Loews.

StanMalone commented about Grand River Drive-In on Oct 24, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Found the website for this place but it had very little information. Tried their Facebook page but it is almost incomprehensible. Boy, do they ever need a social media or publicity manager. There were recent posts announcing job openings and a new opening date to be announced soon but nothing definite. Reading through the few comments it seems this place might have opened for a week during the summer then closed again. Be interesting to get the real story about what is going on.

StanMalone commented about Northeast Plaza Cinema on Oct 23, 2019 at 6:32 am

Work on this project is progressing. I talked to one of the people there and he said that the company involved has another location in Peachtree Corners. Current picture added to the photo section.

StanMalone commented about Martin Twin Theatre on Sep 24, 2019 at 11:54 am

Wow. Tough program to kick off the twin version of what seemed to be a fine modern single screen. Peter Pan had its national re-issure in the summer of 1976 so it was well run by this time. Might have been a good afternoon attraction during the Christmas holidays but I doubt it did much night business. As for Honkytonk Man, well, one of the worst preforming Eastwood efforts ever. In Atlanta some of the theaters that opened it on this day managed to dump it before the holidays were over

StanMalone commented about River Cinemas on Sep 18, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Entrance and lobby pictures from my visit of September 2019 added to the photo section. Based on the lobby pictures it appears that this place was twinned by splitting it in half rather than enclosing the balcony, if there is one.

Also, like 95% of the soft drink serving establishments in this region, they serve Pepsi. Made me feel like I was working for General Cinema again. O well. It is still a beautiful area.

StanMalone commented about AMC Missoula 12 on Sep 18, 2019 at 11:59 am

Picture with its AMC signage added to the photo section. Although it has a Mullan Road address it is in effect on Reserve Street just south of I-90.

StanMalone commented about Main Theatre on Sep 18, 2019 at 11:15 am

This location is now open to some degree. While it does not offer current attractions it does show older movies in a series format. I have posted the schedule for the summer of 2019 in the photo section. I could not find out if they use digital projection or just a DVD and projector.

Currently the locals are trying to restore the theater and the diner next door. The diner looks to be in good 1960’s condition. As you walk in the theater concession stand and entrance to the lobby are on the left. The diner was not open so it may only operate on movie nights or for other community events that are held at the theater.

Several pictures of the theater and diner posted in the Photo section.

StanMalone commented about Madison Theatre on Sep 12, 2019 at 5:30 pm

Small town concession prices.

StanMalone commented about Sweet Grass Arts Theater on Sep 10, 2019 at 8:56 pm

This theater is now known as the “Sweet Grass Arts Theater.” Big Timber is the county seat of Sweet Grass County. Picture of the front and new marquee from my visit in September 2019 posted in the photo section.

StanMalone commented about Montana Theatre on Sep 10, 2019 at 8:47 pm

Three photos from my visit in September 2019 added to the photo section.

StanMalone commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on Aug 27, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Ran the Russian version st Walter Reade’s Atlanta Theater in July 1972 as a midnight show. Intermission at around 3:15am and exit at 6:30. About half of the crowd of 300 that started the show made it to the end for the breakfast at the hotel down the street that was included in the ticket. 23 reels as I remember. Home for a few hours sleep then back for the 2pm show of Kansas City Bomber which was our regular attraction. Great days to be in this business.

StanMalone commented about Ashley Art Adult Theatre on Jul 31, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Added to the photo section is a shot looking south from the intersection of Peachtree Street and Ivy, now called Peachtree Center Blvd. it shows the St.Francis Hotel being prepped for demolition. At the far right of the picture are the awnings over the entrance to the Ashley Art.

StanMalone commented about Nu Vu Drive-In on Jul 31, 2019 at 8:36 am

Very well put Kris. Most Drive in fields have ramps to point your vision towards the screen. With the coming of the mini van and later the SUV, which almost always back up the ramp, it is hard to see over the roof and impossible to see over the hatch. Add some kids sitting on top and you have whole rows unusable. I know of one location that tried to limit Van parking to behind the concession stand but that caused problems when the car area filled up and they had to park cars in the van area.

Vans, SUV’s, people parked with their foot on the brake, always on headlights, and radio sound for people who did not know the difference between the accessory switch and the ignition switch all combined to make modern day drive in management even more of a challenge than in the speaker pole era.

StanMalone commented about Brookhaven Theatre on Jul 30, 2019 at 5:11 pm

The picture currently above is a 1940’s shot looking northbound on Peachtree Road from North Druid Hills Road. The slightly taller white building at the end of that row of storefronts is the Brookhaven Theater. That space is now occupied by the southbound lanes of the now 7 lane wide Peachtree Road, but the McDonalds sits roughly behind the spot where the theater stood.

I was only in this theater once, in fall of 1971, when I was working at the Cherokee Theater just down the road. It was a soft core house by then but the projectionist union still had a contract to operate the booth. I was still new to the business then but the projectionist here had also worked at the Cherokee so I got a chance to visit the Brookhaven booth. It was not a desirable job and I don’t recall that they even had a regular operator. The Business Agent filled the schedule with whoever was available a day or two at a time. Mostly newer members who did not have a regular job and knew better than to turn down work when the BA “asked.”

I had never touched a projector at the time so I do not recall much detail about the booth except that it was pretty much a dump by this time, as you might imagine. The feature that day was a soft core cowboys and Indians epic titled The Ramrodders. I could not see much of the auditorium from the booth and the lights were off anyway but judging by the clean but very run down lobby it was probably showing it’s age as well.

The union let the contract go shortly after my visit when the programming went more hardcore and I think it was closed for good by the spring or summer of 1972.

StanMalone commented about Brookhaven Theatre on Jul 30, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Looking south on Peachtree Road at Dresden Drive. The white building on the corner in the center left is the Brookhaven Theater. In the early 1980’s the road was widened to 7 lanes and the spot where the theater stood is now in the southbound lanes.

StanMalone commented about Venice 2 Theatres on Jun 20, 2019 at 9:18 am

In 1970-71, W.T. Grant opened four shopping centers in the Atlanta Georgia area under the name Grant City. These Grant store anchors were trying to find the sweet spot between their traditional five and dime sized intown stores and the big new K-Marts. Three of the four contained movie theaters, one 500 seat single, one 370 seat single, and one twin with 250 per side.

This did not work, in Atlanta at least, and in 1974 all of the Grants closed up necessitating a change in the shopping center name. None of the theaters were successful with one closing after only 5 years and another only lasting 10. The third made it as long as this location but only as a hybrid Cinema Drafthouse / live performance venue for the final 10 years.

StanMalone commented about Lenox Square Theatre on Jun 8, 2019 at 10:42 am

Two pictures of the original Lenox Square Theater marquee posted in the photo section. One was taken on June 20, 1975, and the other sometime in 1964 when it was still a single screen theater. Note the outdoor kiosk style box office out front in the 1964 picture.

StanMalone commented about Moultrie Drive-In on Jun 8, 2019 at 10:35 am

Three pictures from opening night of the Moultrie Drive In posted in the photo section.

StanMalone commented about Garden Hills Theatre on Jun 8, 2019 at 10:32 am

Picture added to the photo section. This should clear up any doubt as to the seat count, at least in its later years. The correct number is 369. One of several keepsakes I salvaged from the trash while helping George get all of his equipment out.

StanMalone commented about Twin City Drive-In on Jun 8, 2019 at 10:28 am

Old menu from the snack bar added to the photo section.

StanMalone commented about U.S. 1 Drive-In on Jun 8, 2019 at 10:21 am

Three pictures of this location while in operation added to the photo section. One is a nighttime shot with the signage in the back of the screen lit up.