Comments from SteveSwanson

SteveSwanson commented about Twilight Drive-In on Jul 21, 2014 at 6:02 am

From the ashes of the Hillcrest in Surrey came the new Twilight drive-in in Langley. Owner Jay Daulat looked at 3 cities/townships before finding the right spot about 15 minutes east of the old location on Fraser Hwy. The drive-in opened September 2005.

It is a smaller field, about 100 cars less but it also has brand new facilites including washrooms with plenty of stalls. The same mix of asphalt lanes & grass ramps, although the grass has pretty much died in the front rows.

First run films with a bonus show on Fridays & Saturday nights. The season runs from February to November.

SteveSwanson commented about Rose Theatre on Jul 18, 2014 at 3:10 pm

The Rose opened in 1907 on Water St. and moved to the Taylor St. location the next year. It closed fifty years later, the last film was ‘High School Confidential’ It reopened July 11, 1992 and expanded 3 years later with the 83 seat Rosebud theater. In 2013, for the Port Townsend Film Festival, a third screen was added, taking over an unused banquet room next door. The Starlight Room is a 21+ venue, featuring appetizers & cocktails from the Silverlight Cafe. It is a Living Room layout with room for forty five people.

SteveSwanson commented about Harvard Avenue Cinemas on Jul 5, 2014 at 1:28 pm

The theater closed Sunday June 29, 2014.

SteveSwanson
SteveSwanson commented about AMC Loews Factoria Cinemas on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I know of one theater that was offered it. So it seems that film is still available, but at a price.

SteveSwanson commented about Gem Theatre on Jun 4, 2014 at 6:04 am

I stopped by last week for a visit. They received a grant from the Ford Family Foundation last year, but it was a matching grant. They are still looking for another grant so the project is in limbo right now.

The interior has been gutted and the next step will be replacing the roof. It will be a performing arts center, a commercial kitchen will be placed on the other side of the theater building.

SteveSwanson commented about Cinema 21 on May 28, 2014 at 4:51 am

I’m not sure of the exact reopening. Cinemas 21 has expanded, adding 2 screens and a new snack bar. The main auditorium still has 35mm film and digital projection, while the 2 smaller screens are digital only. Becasue of construction constraints, the booths were squeezed into narrow crawlspaces, with controls handled from the main booth. I found the 2 new auditoriums to have ample legroom and adjustable armrests. They now have beer & wine at the snack bar,

SteveSwanson commented about Saco Drive-In on May 11, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Yes they have. Opening film for May 2 was Rio 2. The week after featured an independent horror film festival with live music.

SteveSwanson commented about Dragonfly Cinema on Mar 25, 2014 at 4:56 pm

After about ten years of walking by here, while antique shopping. I finally made my way into a movie, Philomena. A charming little theater, playing mostly arthouse & sub-run films. They are still running film here. Seating is maxed out at 72 for the left side & 90 seats on the right. Decent snack bar & VIP memberships (matinee prices for evening shows) They also have pre-show announcements, information about the film and other upcoming movies.

SteveSwanson commented about Charleston Cinema on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:04 pm

The Charleston has been here since 2008. All ages music hall, with bar in the back. Open Thursday – Saturday only, cover charge is usually $5. It appears that the screen is still up and they are only using the very front part of the stage.

SteveSwanson
SteveSwanson commented about Cooke Brothers Drive-In on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:02 am

I couldn’t find anything about the closing of this drive-in. But I did find something about the opening back in 2012. Riley Cooke runs the Amusement Park drive-in in Montana. It appears that based off some reviews/complaints on their Facebook page, that the good intentions of the Cooke family trying to expand their theater empire and not having good enough management at the Missouri location was a recipe for disaster. Too bad.

SteveSwanson commented about Mooney Drive-In on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:40 pm

The Mooney closed because the owner, Larry Rodkey, did not own the dirt. And the landlord was probably looking for a better deal with a new tenant. Larry also runs 2 other theaters further south in San Luis Obispo & Arroyo Grande. He had troubles finding the right staff to run the Mooney in his abcense.

I think I made about 3 or 4 stops here before it closed.

SteveSwanson
SteveSwanson commented about Art project displays Eugene movie theater in a whole new light on Feb 5, 2014 at 11:03 am

Great, one more excuse for checking out this theater.

SteveSwanson commented about Sage Crest Drive-In on Feb 1, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I found some more info: the first film was “The Living Desert” from Disney, which puts the opening around 1954. It closed sometime in the 1980’s.

SteveSwanson commented about Rio Theatre on Jan 30, 2014 at 6:53 am

The Rio suffered some water damage on Dec. 5th 2013, one of the biggest snowstorms to hit the Willamette Valley. The lobby, concession area and bathrooms were all damaged. However, the auditorium and the new digital projector were spared. It appears they have made all the repairs and is open again this Friday Jan. 31st.

SteveSwanson commented about Oceanside Drive-In on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Scott, I guess I didn’t look thru all the DI’s in Oceanside. At least I’ll be able to shoot some new pics of the interior to share.

SteveSwanson commented about Oceanside Drive-In on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:29 am

There is a drive-in at 3480 Mission Ave. that is now a swap meet. It looks like it has 3 screens, website is oceansideswapmeet.com. I will try and find out more info next month when I’m down there on vacation.

SteveSwanson commented about Auto Vue Drive-In on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:27 am

The Auto-Vue has found a ‘new’ screen, I believe its from the Park drive-in in Lakeview, WA. Look for them to open for the 2014 season in May. No word on what kind of digital projection for the drive-in.

SteveSwanson commented about On Broadway Theatre on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:47 am

This theatre has bounced all over Coos Bay thru the years. They are currently a guest of Little Theater On The Bay. The old location across from the Egyptian seems to be vacant, although its nice to see some signage of its former life.

SteveSwanson commented about Port Theater on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:24 am

While taking a theater tour thru my old hometown, I happened to be in the right place at the right time. The pastor noticed me looking thru the windows and gave me a quick tour. Calvary On The Bay has been at the Port for 8 years. Not much as changed since it became a church, but they are making more improvements this year. Acoustical treatments, more classroom space, tweaking the old snack bar. Thanks to some urban renewal funds, the exterior will be remodeled to resemble what it looked like back in the day as the Port Theater.

As a movie theater, it had 475 seats, now about 450. The booth has been remodeled as classrooms.

SteveSwanson commented about Silver Bow Drive-in on Jan 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

The Silver Bow is about 4 miles south of Butte on I-15. It used to be in Deer Lodge, but was moved because of a new highway coming in. It is family-oriented, no R rated films & they are single feature only. Reasonable prices, but cash only. I’ve been here twice now, it is a pleasant drive-in experience

SteveSwanson commented about Skyline Drive-In on Jan 11, 2014 at 4:18 pm

After the Valley 6 closed in Auburn, I thought I would make more visits to the Skyline. However, after my last trip on Labor Day weekend, I remain convinced that the Rodeo (which is about an hour’s drive north) is the best drive-in left in Washington.

What I liked about the Skyline: 2 lines at the box office, with the left lane being cash only, remodeled bathrooms (and they had the space to do it) the digital projector is a big improvement. They also have an Annual Rocky Horror night and other retro films.

The dislikes: it might have been that night only, but the line in the snack bar was super long. They only have one popper and its too small for that kind of crowd, plus it went down that night. I tend to notice more of the smaller details that makes a drive-in unique. Seeing the totem pole out front decay, peeling paint on the snack bar, the glo-tops getting fried when they added the FM transmitter.

I am glad they are still open, and managed to transition from film to digital. But I’ve seen better operations on the West Coast.

SteveSwanson
SteveSwanson commented about Cinema Latino de Phoenix on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I worked as an usher here in 1988 while going to college. There are/were 2 ramps (from the mall & exterior entrance) that lead down into the center snack bar. Which is circular shaped. And the theaters were split into 2 hallways, 3 on each side. I remember 3 Men & A Baby playing for most of that year, I can still recite the dialogue of the last 5 minutes. We also had midnight movies on the weekends, including Rocky Horror & Heavy Metal. At some point, I was allowed to make popcorn, which was made upstairs in a room next to the booth. We popped about a week’s worth of corn and stored it in plastic trash bags, yumm.

SteveSwanson commented about Admiral Theatre on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I’ve had the pleasure of attending a few concerts here. Fantastic acoustics and intimate atmosphere. They have a regular film series each year, which I believe is DVD projection.

SteveSwanson commented about Lindsay Twin Drive-In on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Their Facebook page has a picture of the marquee listing May 9, 2014 as the opening day for next season. They are also 80 miles north of Toronto. So, they are dealing with a possible colder climate and defintely later sunsets.

SteveSwanson commented about Motor-Vu Drive-In on Nov 26, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Nice family run drive-in. I made my only visit back in 2002. It looks like they have remodeled the snack bar since then, gone the ‘retro’ look. I got the chance to talk to the owner, Howard Coleman. He basically worked his way up in the theater business over 30 years.
The drive-in is right off I-84, but there is enough of a buffer in between, that I didn’t really notice any distractions. The last field to added, #4, has no ramps, so the screen is higher up than normal. Each field has their own booth as well & they are going open the 2014 season with digital pictures.