Comments from Coate

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,219 comments

Coate commented about El Dorado Theatre on Mar 20, 2017 at 4:01 pm

This “Gone with the Wind” ad is from 1968 (not 1967).

Coate commented about El Dorado Theatre on Mar 20, 2017 at 4:00 pm

What’s all the chatter about this theater having a soft opening in March of 1967? Evidence please!

Coate commented about Keswick Theater on Mar 11, 2017 at 8:45 pm

^ You’re welcome.

Coate commented about Keswick Theater on Mar 11, 2017 at 4:25 pm

HowardBHaas… I believe you’re mistaken about the Keswick. A 3-projector run of “Windjammer” is cited in the Showcase Presentations in Philadelphia article if you want playdate details.

Coate commented about Boyd Theatre on Mar 10, 2017 at 9:02 am

Here’s a new article detailing the many large format engagements at the Boyd (and other Philadelphia area theaters).

Coate
Coate commented about Cineplex Odeon Route 17 Triplex on Feb 23, 2017 at 3:00 pm

moviebuff82… What is your source that “Pink Floyd: The Wall” played here in 70mm?

Coate
Coate commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Feb 7, 2017 at 10:30 am

Mikeoaklandpark: And your source of this is…?

Coate commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Feb 1, 2017 at 9:19 am

I’d like to pass along the link to a recent retrospective article on the original “Rocky” movie which many of you may recall opened exclusively here. Sorry, I meant to post link a while ago when it first published. Anyway, this and many other cinemas are cited in the article along with details on longest run, box-office data, and a historian Q&A.

A Million to One: Remembering “Rocky” On Its 40th Anniversary

Coate commented about Cinema Grossmont on Feb 1, 2017 at 8:56 am

I’d like to pass along the link to a reference list of the 70mm engagements of “Logan’s Run” (1976). The article includes mention of the run here at the Cinema Grossmont and as well mentions the San Diego sneak preview screening asked about a few comments ago.

Logan’s Run: The 70mm Engagements

Coate commented about Rivoli Theatre on Dec 31, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Newly-published retrospective article which includes mention of the record-breaking two-year run at the Rivoli. Around the World in 60 Years: Remembering “Around the World in 80 Days” on its 60th Anniversary

Coate
Coate commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Nov 21, 2016 at 8:45 am

“Rocky” opened here (Cinema II) 40 years ago today. Opening day (a Sunday) earned a reported house record of $5,488.

Coate commented about Continental Theatre on Nov 16, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Scott Neff… That 10/21/1965 date was for the opening of the Continental in Oklahoma City.

davegkuhn… The Southroads Mall opening of “Star Wars” was June 24th, 1977 (not in May).

Coate commented about Brookgate Movies on Nov 6, 2016 at 10:28 am

dave-bronx…. The original “Star Wars” played at Brookgate second run, so it’s almost certainly not the answer to the question of which big movie played interlocked on all five of the Brookgate’s screens.

Coate commented about Wisconsin Avenue Cinemas on Nov 3, 2016 at 11:06 am

JodarMovieFan: Per your comment of July 11th… I’m not likely to thank Cinema Treasures generically in my articles since I don’t consider it a source, per se (it’s certainly not a primary source). I would have included you in the article’s special thanks if you posted under your real name. Other Cinema Treasures contributors were thanked in the article. Email me….

Coate commented about Syosset Triplex on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:56 am

NYer (and anyone else who might have an interest)…. “Cheyenne Autumn”: The Roadshow Engagements.

Coate commented about Happy 30th, Star Wars! on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:47 pm

If anyone is interested, a revised and updated version of this “Star Wars” article can be found here.

Coate commented about "Jaws"... Happy 35th! on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:40 pm

If anyone is interested, a revised and updated version of this “Jaws” article can be found here.

Coate commented about Park Mall Theatres 1,2,3, 4 on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Scott… “Benji” had a running time of only 80-something minutes, so the published showtimes in the ad you mentioned seem plausible for a one-screen booking. (It’s not posted here, but in checking the archived issues of the Tucson newspaper for the time frame in question one will find Mann’s display ad for the Park Mall with “The Wind and the Lion” taking up two slots in the layout. And in the text-based theater listings it has “The Wind and the Lion” listed on two screens. So, again, I’m curious how others have concluded it was “Jaws” on two screens.)

Coate commented about Park Mall Theatres 1,2,3, 4 on Oct 27, 2016 at 12:07 pm

rivest266 (and dallasmovietheaters)…. How did you determine “Jaws” was playing on two screens at the Park Mall 4-plex during the week of June 27-July 3 (1975)? I’ve re-researched the matter since I realize I misspoke when I stated earlier four movies were there that week. Anyway, my point stays the same that I don’t see any evidence that “Jaws” was on two screens then. For the week being discussed I found the newspaper advertisements indicated “The Wind and the Lion” was on two screens and “Jaws” and “Benji” were on one screen each.

Coate commented about Syosset Triplex on Oct 14, 2016 at 10:02 am

Thank you, NYer.

May I ask another similar question? Do you (or any other CT members) know which movie followed the Syosset’s 1958 reserved-seat run of “Around the World in 80 Days”?

Coate commented about Goldman Theatre on Oct 5, 2016 at 2:42 pm

walterk…. The IMDb info on “Planet of the Apes” is NOT correct (or, at the very least, lacks context). The fact is “Apes” opened in at least two U.S. markets in the February/March ‘68 period. And while my research shows the film did open in at least a few markets during the week of April 3rd, most “keys” opened it after April 3rd. And, of course, the second- and third-tier markets opened it even later than that. And yes it would be nice if the person in question would chime back in and acknowledge the mistake, especially since they were dismissive of my correction claim.

Coate commented about Goldman Theatre on Oct 2, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Hopefully this “Planet of the Apes”/Goldman opening date incident will serve as a lesson for those naive or irresponsible enough to rely on the IMDb for such information.

Coate commented about Goldman Theatre on Sep 23, 2016 at 8:30 am

hdtv267…. Take it up with veyoung52, the Philly area resident who looked up the info on my behalf.

Coate commented about Goldman Theatre on Sep 20, 2016 at 10:11 am

hdtv267…. Advertisements in the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper.