Stanford Hall Cinema Theatre
Stanford on Soar,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Stanford on Soar, Nottinghamshire, to the north of Loughborough. Stanford Hall was built in 1774. In 1928 it was purchased by Sir Julien Cahn. In 1937 he commisioned noted cinema architect Cecil Aubrey Masey to build a cinema/theatre inside the hall. Designed in an Art Deco style with decorations by interior decorator/designer J.E. Redding and murals by artist Beatrice McDermott. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 Manual 5 Ranks theatre organ which had originally been installed in the Madeleine Theatre, Paris in 1926. The organ was enlarged for its installation at Stanford Hall and the console is on a lift in the orchestra pit. The Stanford Hall Cinema Theatre has a fully equipped stage. It was opened in January 1938 with a variety show, which was open to the general public. It was used as a cinema to provide entertainment for guests staying at the hall, and also was opened up to the general public when not needed for private screenings.
Sir Julien Cahn died in 1944, and in 1945 Stanford Hall was purchased by the Co-Operative Union, and became a college. The Cinema Theatre continued to operate, used by the residential students, and again by members of the general public. Many live theatre productions were staged here by the Midland Theatre Company.
In 2001, the Co-Operative College vacated the building and moved to Manchester. Stanford Hall was sold to a property developer, who planed to build flats and housing on the vast grounds which contained the hall. These plans never materialised, and the Stanford Hall Cinema theatre was closed in 2004.
In October 2011, Stanford Hall and its surrounding land was purchased by Gerald Grosvenor, the Duke of Westminster (one of the richest persons in the UK). He donated the hall to the Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre who will use it to rehabilitate military servicemen injured during their active service.
The Stanford Hall Cinema Theatre is a Grade II* Listed building (listed by English Heritage on 14th May 1952), sadly it wont be available for the general public to enter in its new use, possibly as a recreation hall?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater