41 West High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Orpheum Theatre opened in downtown Carlisle with a soft launch on August 23, 1909 to celebrate the city’s “Old Home Week” with temporary seating. The official grand opening was held October 21, 1909 with permanent seating.
In 1928, the Comerford Circuit took over the Orpheum and installed sound in the theatre in January of 1930 and an improved Western Electric sound system the following year. When the Circuit opened its Comerford Theatre in May of 1939, it discontinued the Orpheum after a May 6, 1939 screening of “Silver on the Sage.”
On November 29, 1939, a fire caused extensive damage to the Orpheum. Its seating and organ were offered for sale soon thereafter and the organ was again offered at salvage when the building was razed in 1940. According to an ad in the local paper, the theater’s movie posters were saved in 1940 and offered for sale at a local garage sale that year.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater